"Build COMPLETE!"-Central FL pool build

Apr 3, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hello. I've learned a lot from reading on TFP so thank you! We are trying to finalize design and would love some input -

1. The sunshelf is pretty close to the existing patio. As it is right now there is only about 3 ft from edge of sunshelf to patio and column. Is that too close? Sunshelf is 10ft x 5 ft.
2. Finishes - we are thinking of going with 12x12 brick pavers in cream, beige, charcoal for the deck, travertine (silver?) coping (although still worried this may be too slippery for my 4 year old and almost 1 year old), and would love to do something other than the 6x6 standard because of the 6 inch raised deck along the back and the oversized spa spillway but still undecided on what. Any suggestions welcome. Attached is one tile I found in a picture that I liked.
3. Open to any overall design input!

Thanks!
- The pool is
  • 18' wide at the sunshelf
  • 12' wide at the spa
  • 15' wide at the deep water bench
  • 30 ft long
  • 3 - 6ft depth
  • Square footage: 443
  • Gallons: 14,951
- The spa is 6'6"x6'6" with 6 jets. 12" raised.
- Aqua Pearl mini pebble
- Equipment

• SWG - Jandy Aqua Pure 1400
  • 1.5HP VSP Epump
  • Jandy CV 460 Cartridge Filter
  • 140K BTU Heatpump
  • Jandy RS 904 Automation
  • 2 pool lights/1 spa light

2April2016.jpg

Pool%202_1.jpg

Pool%20tile.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Central FL Pool Build - Need help on final design

I love it! I think 3 feet is enough room for people to walk by no problem. Especially since it's not a sitting area (people will only walk from one destination to another). I love the large pavers too. I am having pavers installed right now and it's a mix of sizes but I love the 12x12 ones that are in my pattern. I have a friend who did small pavers and the edges hurt my feet; anywhere you stepped you landed on seams). Maybe it was the type she used??? The large stone will prevent that (though I'm sure it's the brand of paver that resulted in this b/c my tech bloc being installed have very sooth edges).

Sorry, I can't help on the travertine being slippery (I wouldn't think so though). I have a smooth coping that's a concrete paver (tech bloc Portifino) and there are no slip issues whatsoever even though it's smooth.

I have my bench at the end of the deep end (rather than on the sides). I like it b/c I have a straight view of the kids playing while we relax. Those benches, as you have them, will get a ton of use (and allow the deep end to get more use as a result). If anything I'd bump the pool another 18" to 24" in length and have a bench across the width to meet with the side benches. But if you do that you'd limit the jumping area for the kids (and adults :) ). You'll be fine with the 2 lights for the pool. I'd face away from where you plan to sit outside the pool at night (I assume the cover patio area). The lights are bright and will annoy you if you're facing them for extended periods while trying to relax. fwiw, i like my Jandy equipment.

The design you have is great!

I love everything about your design! The sunshelf will work there if it is really offset from the column like show in the picture. I would not change a thing!

Do you have a good shot of where the pool is going? That will help us see what you are dealing with.

Kim

Thank you for the input!

Nectaralogist - I'll have to look into that coping you mentioned :)

KimKats - attached should be some images of the backyard (excuse the mess!). I'll try to get better shots later today.

Does any think I should add a small bench in the shallow end near the spa? Making a quick exit to the spa? Or is that overkill?

Our%20home_backyard.jpg

Our%20home%20backyard%202.jpg

That looks like a well loved and used area that is NOT a mess!

I thought there WAS already a bench in that cut out area. If not I think I would put one there.

Are you leaving that pretty tree??? aka leaf dropper?

Kim

Kim

Hello fellow Floridian,

I agree with the others CCC, it's a very nice design. Your spa/spillway is the focal point and it looks like you have it centered on your patio door so perfect.

On the 3 feet that's probably fine but if you have the space and budget to extend the decking a bit 2-3 more feet would give room for 2 people to pass, kids to run (I mean walk :) or play, etc and maybe open up the view to the entry shelf/steps a bit more.

That cut out in the shallow space seems made for a bench and would provide nice symmetry with the one on the other side of the spa.

I also feel like the shallow end cut out needs a bench BUT the pool is already narrower than we would like and the bench would eat up the minimal space. Husband doesn't want it but to me it feels like it would look like we accidentally left it out. Hence my dilemma.

We are maxed out on allowable space in terms of width so adding more to deck is not possible. Sunshelf would need to move in order to gain more space around column.

*Updated: Build Underway* - Central FL Pool Build

Build is well underway! I wanted to update with pics as I have been closely documenting the process with everything I've learned on this site. ;)

Form layed out:

20160822_120231.jpg

Dig:

20160822_144107.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

Steel:
20160825_134945.jpg

20160825_145504.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

20160826_145632.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

Gunite:

20160831_112348.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

And then the afternoon showers rolled in!!

20160831_164808.jpg

20160831_171142.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

20160901_114253.jpg

20160901_114248.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Coming along nicely! Do you know how far your spa overhangs/extends in from the back pool wall? I'm guessing 18" if that is a standard size bench?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just measured the distance, the spa extends 19'' from the back pool wall. We had them push the spa back as far as possible to hit our waterline setback.

The adjacent deep water bench is 18''.

I'm glad I was there during the gunite shoot. Many items needed to be clarified including the angle of the spa spillway!

Thanks for measuring. We are really fond of the spa overhang look despite having some "dead space" on the sides. We likely won't do benches either because we are going to have very large sun shelf and large sweeping steps in addition to a deep end swim out closest to the house like you have. Having a reference point is helpful - your setup is just about what we were looking for. 1 foot didn't make the spa pronounced enough and 2 feet created too much dead space and encroached the usable area in the middle of the pool. Can't wait to see your project progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly aesthetics to have a different spillway. Liked the look of negative edge pools. PB said we should get increased water flow with the angle, but I'm not hopeful without a dedicated pump driving the spillway. We shall see once it's complete! :)

Moving right along. They completed plumbing today. You should notice the over-sized filter and SWG. Pool builder was puzzled why I didn't want the smaller footprint filter and SWG. ;)

Please let me know if anything looks awry. Thanks!

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Re: *Build Underway* - Central FL Pool Build

I really like your design! My spa has a negative edge just like yours. You can see some pictures of it in the last few pages of my build thread. We like how the water flows over the edge and cascades down the glass front.

So true on being there for that big day! Better YOU pick out what you want than for them to do what they think you want LOL

I love all of the valves. You will have great control over everything. They sure got the joints close. Hope you never have to work on any of it!

Is the pipe bump up by the skimmer as high as it looks in the picture?

:kim:

Very true Kim! The pool plan exchanges so many hands from the pool sales man, to engineering, to supervisor and finally the sub doing the work that sadly minor details get missed if you're not double checking the work being done.

Tell me about the joints being close! It's a cramped space as my property line only extends 8 feet from the house. Not sure if they could have laid it out differently given the space they had to work with.

Yes, the skimmer pipe looks to be above the coping. They needed to plumb the skimmer for full inspecting today, but PB said they need to cut and re-do skimmer plumbing when they tile. Seems backwards, but wanted to get the full plumbing inspection out of the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.