Bugs and Worms - Inground

Belo

Jun 6, 2013
Rochester, NY
This is my first full season in our new inground. I ran it for 2 months last season really without issue. One major change I made to this bromine pool (don't get me started) is that i put my pump on a timer to run 12 hours a day instead of 24/7. The other change is that NY has had a very rainy and green summer, whereas last year we were in a drought. The pool is surrounded by ivy, plants and trees... I can't and really don't want to change this.

Anyhow, I vac about once a week and typically the pool skimmer does a good job getting the tree droppings, some bugs, lots of frogs etc. Typically i get sediment buildup where the pool has its steep drop off from shallow to deep end. But what I've noticed is that any sediment in the deep end is all concentrated around a bunch of dead worms, pill bugs, centipedes and other "crawlers". I assume they're just falling into the pool. I didn't have this issue last year and not sure if it's because of the variables i mentioned above or something else the previous owner did that i'm not aware of.

This issue is not a huge problem, but wondering if there's an easy fix. I was thinking of spraying some ortho home defense to create a barrier around the pool like I do for my house. Other than that, has anyone had this issue and if so are there any solutions?

I was thinking of spraying some ortho home defense to create a barrier around the pool like I do for my house.
I do the same thing primarily for the Rollie Pollies, Wolf/Fishing spiders, and scorpions. Some days/weeks are better than others. I guess they just like a TFP pool better than others. :)

So far I noticed that I get frogs in late spring/ early summer. Worms during wet/ rainy days. Lack of spiders in a drought condition. Ants I have to spray or set traps on a weekly basis. I usually spray pool area and house foundation and veggie garden every week or so.... so many bugs. Lately there hasn't been to many bugs in pool, and it's been very dry here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.