May 23, 2023
Peabody, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Inground pool chlorine,
Most plumbing has been replaced. Pump seal kit is new. Filter is new. New skimmer installed last year also
No water loss, pressure is fine and rises as it should but still have tons of bubbles. Most seals and o rings have been replaced. I also have a lot of bubbles in the pump basket and I do hear some gurgling noise in the skimmer suction line when the pump is running but pressure seems fine and rises like I mentioned, but still bubbles in the return. Not sure what else I can do
I have not pressure tested the lines underground but I do fear that it could be a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6237.jpeg
    IMG_6237.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 70596536115__1418987B-B25C-495F-BF1A-2EB54D8427A9.jpeg
    70596536115__1418987B-B25C-495F-BF1A-2EB54D8427A9.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 70596534545__FD46CAC3-C6E4-449B-A9B7-EB8C02B6F3E8.jpeg
    70596534545__FD46CAC3-C6E4-449B-A9B7-EB8C02B6F3E8.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 70596532601__F500D7FC-CFFF-43CC-A11A-93D7F3D00692.jpeg
    70596532601__F500D7FC-CFFF-43CC-A11A-93D7F3D00692.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You appear to have a pretty good suction side air leak getting it. How old are those two gate valves? Somewhere between the skimmer and pump air is getting pulled in.

Reactions: PitaRex
You appear to have a pretty good suction side air leak getting it.
There may be a leak in the suction piping between the skimmer and the pump. I had this problem. If all else fails, consider performing a pressure test, which requires plugging the skimmer port, introducing some compressed air into the line (not too much), and then closing the valve at the pump or plugging the suction line. Let it sit overnight and check the next morning to see if there was a loss of pressure. If so, get a shovel.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You appear to have a pretty good suction side air leak getting it. How old are those two gate valves? Somewhere between the skimmer and pump air is getting pulled in.

It was the gate valves I slowly backed them off and then turned them back on and found just the right blend and zero bubbles. Unbelievable.

Good catch! :goodjob:
a few follow up questions? Now that the gate valve is halfway open skimmer side only. The other valve is open fully, does that affect pressure? My gauge is close to starting psi, skimmer had debris in it and is trapping things, but water flow in pool seems diminished, also my heater overflow line is dripping slightly. What is the proper valve to replace it with and what exactly does this mean. Is my suction line crushed or blocked somehow ?! Thanks

Now that the gate valve is halfway open skimmer side only. The other valve is open fully, does that affect pressure?
If you had a restricted water flow, it could result in a lower pressure. But if you have good, clear plumbing lines, the filter pressure should be the same whether you are pulling water form the skimmer, drain, or both.

skimmer had debris in it and is trapping things, but water flow in pool seems diminished,
By this you mean the return jet water going back into the pool feels weaker? Then that points to your filter being dirty or perhaps the start of an algae bloom which clogs-up a filter very fast. If you have any doubts about that, you should do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure.
also my heater overflow line is dripping slightly. What is the proper valve to replace it with and what exactly does this mean.
Dripping at the overflow would seem to indicate water not flowing through the heater core very well. But you also mention what valve to replace it with. Might be good to tell us more about this specific heater and part. Maybe post a pic or two if you need to.

If you had a restricted water flow, it could result in a lower pressure. But if you have good, clear plumbing lines, the filter pressure should be the same whether you are pulling water form the skimmer, drain, or both.

By this you mean the return jet water going back into the pool feels weaker? Then that points to your filter being dirty or perhaps the start of an algae bloom which clogs-up a filter very fast. If you have any doubts about that, you should do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure.

Dripping at the overflow would seem to indicate water not flowing through the heater core very well. But you also mention what valve to replace it with. Might be good to tell us more about this specific heater and part. Maybe post a pic or two if you need to.
The original gate valve (the right one) is from the skimmer and has the adjustment applied,-
the heater, I noticed that yesterday very minimal dripping

Attachments

• IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 5
I pretty much closed the gate valve to the point where there is zero bubbles but restricted flow so to speak and I was asking what a new valve looks like? But having the valve open fully why does that cause bubbles ? Is it the valve itself of something else

It is likely the stem packing on the gate valves. You can try to replace it, but you best have a plan on replacing the valves before you start as you might open a can of yuck when you start pulling an old gate valve apart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But having the valve open fully why does that cause bubbles ? Is it the valve itself of something else
There's probably a tiny O-ring in that gate valve stem. Either there or something else on that valve allowing air to seep in. While not an ideal replacement, some people use ball valves for their simplicity of on or off. Others use traditional 2 or 3-way pool valves. The advantage with those is they can be rebuilt years later if the seal starts to wear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.