bubbles in pump basket

Pool in Carolina Blue said:
Interesting. Do I need to do anything about it? My system appears to be running normally including the pump.

In some cases, cavitation can cause wear on the impeller as the bubbles are abrasive when they strike the impeller. I don't know if this is the case with pool pumps.

Anything you can do to improve the flow from the pool to the pump would help, but that's not usually easy on an existing pool unless there is a plumbing restriction like use of the wrong adapters or an excessive number of elbows. If it becomes an issue, you can try restricting the return flow to the pool a little by adding a valve.

While I've seen cavitation cause damage to impellers, they're usually bronze and in water that is corrosive to begin with. On a plastic impeller, the tips of the veins will sharpen and lose a bit of their edge but unless the cavitation is severe (the pump would sound bad) it probably won't hurt performance over the life of the pump.

I have a DuraGlasII which is almost the same.
And I need to lube the O-ring about every 3-4 months, when I begin to see bubbles. I replace the ring after about two years.
And I'll also "vote" for the cavitation. But since it's minor, I also would not worry much.
Pete

YEP, very minor cavitation if there is no leak. My pump on trolley is like that too. I can generate more bubbles on demand easy, just squeeze the inlet hose and more cavitation due to suction restriction. :mrgreen: . The bubbles do collect in the filter housing and I got to purge a bit every day.

It should be OK, and mine can only be seen if I pay very close attention to it with in good light too.

I concur that it looks like the bubbles are "cavation". However what is really happening is that the suction side vacuum is getting low enough that dissolved gases in the water are coming out of solution. I have the same problem when I run my suction side cleaner at too high of a setting. After the bubbles pass through the pump they re-dissolve backinto the water.

You might check your suction side piping for restrictions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.