brownish calcium nodules?

Nov 20, 2022
San Diego, CA
hey everyone, i just received notice about winning my CSLB case against for extremely poor workmanship on my quartscape job in southern CA. poor workmanship caused a barrage of calcium nodules everywhere with high quality water and balanced calcium. that was a process in itself!

i've been able to sand down some nodules with a diamond pad but recently noticed brown rings around some of them. i cant sand the brown away, but can still remove the white calcium. anyone see this before or know how to resolve it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 10.19.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 10.19.00 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
George,

The nodules will just come back... over and over, until you fix the underlying issue of delamination...

They need to remove all the plaster right down to the gunite and then replaster the whole pool.

I know this as I have the same identical issue with a rent house pool... :cry:

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
hi Jim, fortunately that was the outcome of the CSLB arbitration. unfortunately inflation hit the adjustment hard and i wont be able to find a refinish for even half the price i originally paid. i thought the brown was algae, i'm just wondering how to get rid of that.

George,

The brown I am talking about is right at the raised nodule.. Sanding it down should get rid of it for a few months.

If you have brown that does not sand off, that is a different issue..

Are you sanding right to the gunite? I can't think of anything that would not come off with sanding, until you were right at the gunite.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not really see the brown.

Can you post pictures of the whole pool now, after plaster but before filling, after filling and before the plaster was applied?

You are asking for a lot of diagnosis based on a single zoomed in picture and very few details.

Did you have an expert for your case?

If yes, what do they say?

If the brown will not sand off, the color is probably all of the way through the plaster.

It might be rust or something else.

The information supplied is insufficient to really get a comprehensive understanding of everything.

Did you win your case on merit or because the contractor defaulted on their response?

What exactly was your cause of action and what was the bill of particulars?

What was the contractor's response to your claims?

it went to arbitration and the expert witness said it was due to poor workmanship and that all of my water chemistry readings were normal. contractor tried saying that it was due to poor water chemistry.

probably rust on the plaster then as i can’t sand it off. will have to get this completely redone. i’ll probably go with a pebble in the future as i haven’t seen those with cracks and they look like they hold their color.

I do not really see the brown.

Can you post pictures of the whole pool now, after plaster but before filling, after filling and before the plaster was applied?

You are asking for a lot of diagnosis based on a single zoomed in picture and very few details.
i’ll try to get you more photos but if you look at the one posted, there’s a dark hue around the calcium deposit/cracks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.