Brown/Yellowish Spots at bottom of pool

Beast

Feb 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I've been a pool owner for 9 months and this is the first time I'm seeing brown/yellowish spots on the bottom of the pool. There are a couple of these spots on the side of pool as well. I was able to take my pool brush and one swing over the spots, they disappear with a cloud of water it is. We have been getting tons of rain for almost 2 weeks straight in Orlando, FL and it has finally been sunny the past couple days so I was able to test the pool chemistry. During all this rain, I've had to drain my pool twice as the water was nearing the top of the pool. Not sure if this is algae or pollen and what I should do next.

This is a SWG pool:
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.5 (I'm using the K-2006 test kit and 5 drops of R-003 the water was slightly pinkish but barely. 1 drop of R-087 turned it back clear)
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CH: 240 (I assume this is low from all the rain water)
CYA: 60
SALT: 3200
Temp: 85 deg

Should I SLAM the pool at this point? I have pool enclosure so I don't get leaves and other debris in it except for the occasional worm and lizard as well as pollen.

Probably pollen and junk from the rain. Try to vacuum it up. What kind of filter? A sand filter can take a little longer to filter. You can try an OCLT or just keep your chlorine ~2 FC higher right now.

I am vacuuming it up as we speak. I also checked and cleaned the Filter. It is a DE Sta-Rite PLDE48 Filter. I ordered another one today since I think it was also leaking sand into the pool. I'll perform a OCLT tonight and report back tomorrow. I should have my filter before the end of the week so I hope that will help. The filter that is currently in was here when I bought the house 9 months ago and I'm not sure how old it is. For all I know, it could be the original from when the pool was built in 2014.

I am vacuuming it up as we speak. I also checked and cleaned the Filter. It is a DE Sta-Rite PLDE48 Filter. I ordered another one today since I think it was also leaking sand into the pool. I'll perform a OCLT tonight and report back tomorrow. I should have my filter before the end of the week so I hope that will help. The filter that is currently in was here when I bought the house 9 months ago and I'm not sure how old it is. For all I know, it could be the original from when the pool was built in 2014.

Update... I did the OCLT test over night and my FC stayed at 5. My pool vac picked up all the brown/yellow spots and I have a new pool filter coming in tomorrow. So I can only assume that it was pollen that settled across the bottom of the pool from all the rain we were getting. If anything changes, I'll be sure to provide another update. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.