Brown Water from Relief Valve

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
I have a Hayward DE 4820 filter and Super Pump. I just opened the pool and got it going yesterday. That said, I had to sew and glue/water weld a small tear in the filter element fabric at the top where it is usually sewn. I also temporarily have water weld on the two drain plugs in the pump housing as a temporary fix until the parts come in tomorrow. This fix has only produced a very small leak. I've been running it for almost 24 hours and put the usual chemicals in and vacuumed. After vacuuming, I shut off power and took the basket out of the pump housing to clean it out. I put it back in and filled up the housing with water. By accident, I left the pump housing basket out and it ran for about 2 minutes. I realized my mistake, turned off the pump, put it back in, filled with water, and hit the power. The PSI went back to the same number I open with every year (11 psi). I opened the air relief valve a bit and a lot of air came out then just a little bit of brown water spurted. I shut and opened again and nothing happened at all, so I closed it again. Typically when I do this, air will come out and then regular water will spurt and I will shut. Pool seems to be going OK, besides the typical cloudy water at this stage. Should I be worried? Thank you.

The air bleed is on the dirty side of the grids. So seeing dirty water come out isn't alarming.

Nothing coming out when you open the bleed is worrisome. Could be a small piece of debris got caught. Try shutting off the pump and opening the air bleed and see if you hear it sucking air in as water clugs down. That might be enough to dislodge anything. Then turn the pump on and see if it hisses a while as it fills and then squirts again.

Did what you suggested a couple of times and...yes! It was sucking air as it clugged down, but upon start up, air was coming out but then nothing. Third time I started the pump, I opened the valve up quite a bit and after some air some DE water squirted out with some force. Thank you again!!!

Did what you suggested a couple of times and...yes! It was sucking air as it clugged down, but upon start up, air was coming out but then nothing. Third time I started the pump, I opened the valve up quite a bit and after some air some DE water squirted out with some force. Thank you again!!!
So we saved you the cost of an air bleed and/or a service call, huh? There's always this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.