Bromide Ions Distribution In Water

gugelm

Sep 2, 2021
Texas
When you add sodium bromide + oxidizer to a pool, it makes HOBr (hypobromous acid) and OBr– (hypobromite ion).
The HOBr gets converted to bromide ion (Br–) if it gets used up as a disinfectant or by UV rays.

Am I correct in thinking that the OBr– and Br– ions will be evenly distributed in the water (even if it is not circulating)?
Will the HOBr be in solution or will it tend to sink/float?

When you add sodium bromide + oxidizer to a pool, it makes HOBr (hypobromous acid) and OBr– (hypobromite ion).
The HOBr gets converted to bromide ion (Br–) if it gets used up as a disinfectant or by UV rays.

Am I correct in thinking that the OBr– and Br– ions will be evenly distributed in the water (even if it is not circulating)?
Will the HOBr be in solution or will it tend to sink/float?

There is no appreciable stratification of pool water. All dissolved ions and solids are evenly distributed throughout the water column.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is no appreciable stratification of pool water. All dissolved ions and solids are evenly distributed throughout the water column.
Thank you!

The reason I ask is that my pool maintenance company put sodium bromide in my outdoor pool (facepalm). Needless to say, this was the perfect opportunity for me to stop using them and do it myself (with the help of TFP).

To fix things, I'm doing the No Drain Water Exchange for my pool. The DeltaT was ~8 so I'm draining from the highest point and filling from the lowest (on the opposite side).

I'm guessing the bromide ions won't diffuse in too significant of a quantity from the body of water on top to the new body of water on the bottom?