Broken Pump

Jun 7, 2023
SWFL
Greetings,

First, thanks for your help. I like this forum, and I was beginning to move down the road of maintaining my own pool (I started going through TF Pool School a few months ago, etc.). But alas, in April I had a death in the family that rocked my world and required me to travel out of state for the summer.

So here's the situation...

I have a pool guy who maintains my pool. Yesterday he sent me a video of my pump leaking water from the bottom of it while running. Essentially, he said he thought it was the "shaft seal" that needed replaced. He was going to charge me $350-365 to fix the shaft seal/"impeller." His price included parts/labor. I gave him the go ahead, in large part because I don't know what a good price is and I just want it fixed. Today he called back and said that after his tech opened up the pump, there were a bunch of corroded screws, and he didn't want to strip anything so he just sealed everything back up. He told me to call Jandy to see if the pump was still under warranty. He also casually mentioned that by opening up the pump he may have voided the warranty. Thanks, man.

He told me that the SWG doesn't appear to be creating chlorine. If I'm not mistaken, he said that after his tech dumps in bags of salt, the salt doesn't get transformed into chlorine. He added liquid chlorine (I think) last Friday (6/2) to keep everything balanced. Like with the pump, he told me to call Autopilot to see if the SWG is under warranty, too. I get the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing, even though he has been cleaning my pool for probably a year or more. The SWG apparently has an error message on it, but he never sent me the picture. I may ask a neighbor tomorrow to take a pic of the error message.

In the past few weeks, my pool guy cleaned the SWG cell and added stabilizer to the pool. It rains a lot in Florida this time of year, as you may know, but I still have my neighbor checking to make sure the pool has enough water in it. The pool guy comes 1x/wk (on Fridays). The words "You're fired" have been on the tip of my tongue for several months now because I have been totally unimpressed with his tech's attitude and the quality of the service. However, I feel like I'm a bit vulnerable in this situation and I don't want to tell him to go pack sand just yet until I figure out how to proceed. Although, I'm also wondering what sort of value he's providing at this point. I pay him $90/mo., FWIW, to maintain the pool.

Anyway, here are my options, so far as I can tell :
  • Option A: Call Jandy and Autopilot, give them the serial #s for my pump and SWG, hope they're under warranty, and then hope my incompetent pool guy will know how to best proceed after I report back to them whether or not they're under warranty.
  • Option B: Try to find another local pool guy or pool service company to look at the pump/SWG and take over the maintenance.
  • Option C: Let my pool die a slow death until I can get home and take care of it myself. Nobody swims in it currently. This is the option I'm currently in favor of, but perhaps that is because I'm frustrated and I'm uncertain what it will cost me to "restart" my pool relative to the other options listed above. Perhaps if I knew what it would cost to resurrect a pool filled with algae, I might go a different route. My wife and I won't be returning to our home until the end of July. I can ask the neighbor to throw the cover on, and then I can just deal with this when I get back (shock the life out of it, actually look at the pump/SWG myself, take over my own maintenance, etc.).
  • Option D: Some other option I haven't considered yet but the collective wisdom of this forum can help me determine.
God bless you and peace to you,
thanksinadvance

Greetings,

First, thanks for your help. I like this forum, and I was beginning to move down the road of maintaining my own pool (I started going through TF Pool School a few months ago, etc.). But alas, in April I had a death in the family that rocked my world and required me to travel out of state for the summer.

So here's the situation...

I have a pool guy who maintains my pool. Yesterday he sent me a video of my pump leaking water from the bottom of it while running. Essentially, he said he thought it was the "shaft seal" that needed replaced. He was going to charge me $350-365 to fix the shaft seal/"impeller." His price included parts/labor. I gave him the go ahead, in large part because I don't know what a good price is and I just want it fixed. Today he called back and said that after his tech opened up the pump, there were a bunch of corroded screws, and he didn't want to strip anything so he just sealed everything back up. He told me to call Jandy to see if the pump was still under warranty. He also casually mentioned that by opening up the pump he may have voided the warranty. Thanks, man.

He told me that the SWG doesn't appear to be creating chlorine. If I'm not mistaken, he said that after his tech dumps in bags of salt, the salt doesn't get transformed into chlorine. He added liquid chlorine (I think) last Friday (6/2) to keep everything balanced. Like with the pump, he told me to call Autopilot to see if the SWG is under warranty, too. I get the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing, even though he has been cleaning my pool for probably a year or more. The SWG apparently has an error message on it, but he never sent me the picture. I may ask a neighbor tomorrow to take a pic of the error message.

In the past few weeks, my pool guy cleaned the SWG cell and added stabilizer to the pool. It rains a lot in Florida this time of year, as you may know, but I still have my neighbor checking to make sure the pool has enough water in it. The pool guy comes 1x/wk (on Fridays). The words "You're fired" have been on the tip of my tongue for several months now because I have been totally unimpressed with his tech's attitude and the quality of the service. However, I feel like I'm a bit vulnerable in this situation and I don't want to tell him to go pack sand just yet until I figure out how to proceed. Although, I'm also wondering what sort of value he's providing at this point. I pay him $90/mo., FWIW, to maintain the pool.

Anyway, here are my options, so far as I can tell :
  • Option A: Call Jandy and Autopilot, give them the serial #s for my pump and SWG, hope they're under warranty, and then hope my incompetent pool guy will know how to best proceed after I report back to them whether or not they're under warranty.
  • Option B: Try to find another local pool guy or pool service company to look at the pump/SWG and take over the maintenance.
  • Option C: Let my pool die a slow death until I can get home and take care of it myself. Nobody swims in it currently. This is the option I'm currently in favor of, but perhaps that is because I'm frustrated and I'm uncertain what it will cost me to "restart" my pool relative to the other options listed above. Perhaps if I knew what it would cost to resurrect a pool filled with algae, I might go a different route. My wife and I won't be returning to our home until the end of July. I can ask the neighbor to throw the cover on, and then I can just deal with this when I get back (shock the life out of it, actually look at the pump/SWG myself, take over my own maintenance, etc.).
  • Option D: Some other option I haven't considered yet but the collective wisdom of this forum can help me determine.
God bless you and peace to you,
thanksinadvance
So very sorry to hear about your loss. Lost a friend of 60+ years last October, I know what you are going through.
How old is the pool/equipment? Who installed it?
AutoPilot warranties range from 1 to 2 years depending on what the model or part is.
Jandy is very different. For pumps it is 1 year parts and labor, 2-3 parts only. If it wasn't installed by a pool pro the warranty is zero.

So very sorry to hear about your loss. Lost a friend of 60+ years last October, I know what you are going through.
How old is the pool/equipment? Who installed it?
AutoPilot warranties range from 1 to 2 years depending on what the model or part is.
Jandy is very different. For pumps it is 1 year parts and labor, 2-3 parts only. If it wasn't installed by a pool pro the warranty is zero.
Thank you for your condolences, and sorry to hear of your loss, as well.

Any paperwork on the pool is, unfortunately, somewhere hidden in my house or in the garage. These details on the age of the pool/equipment and installer could also be in the original paperwork / inspection / deed stuff that I got when I bought the home. Without looking at the paperwork, I think the the pool was built in 2020.

I'm very sorry for your loss and your troubles. We'll help as much as we can.

If you have a trusted neighbor or friend, I'd certainly ask them to go check out the pool. At least then you'll get some good information to make a decision with.

Thank you for your condolences, and sorry to hear of your loss, as well.

Any paperwork on the pool is, unfortunately, somewhere hidden in my house or in the garage. These details on the age of the pool/equipment and installer could also be in the original paperwork / inspection / deed stuff that I got when I bought the home. Without looking at the paperwork, I think the the pool was built in 2020.
Most likely warranties have expired, unfortunately.

How bad did the service guy say the pump leak is? If small, and there is already a lot of corrosion, you may need a new pump anyway. There are better options than Jandy, IMHO. While you may need to have someone watch the pool level more closely, it would be good to run the pump a couple of hours a day to keep the chemicals mixed, at least until the pump gets very noisy, and it will with a seal leak.

Speaking as a very-close-to-completely-retired pool guy, if your service person was doing service and didn't tell you about a seal leak, he should be gone yesterday. How long has he been working on your pool? I always felt it my responsibility, even when I did chemicals only, to examine the equipment at every visit and report small issues before they became big. Spent the last 27 years doing repairs only, so I know what can happen.

Sorry to add to your burden right now, but if you know a friend or neighbor that has a good pool service, I'd change in an instant if I were you.

How bad did the service guy say the pump leak is?
He sent me the video here: https://youtu.be/XQGN6Cd1voE

Essentially, the water is trickling down over the bottom of the pump as it runs.
How long has he been working on your pool?

He's been my pool guy for a year/year and a half. I spoke with a new pool maintenance company this morning--the new guy is a veteran, and he actually lives in the same town that I do, so I'm hopeful that things will work out with him. The new guy is going to head over to the house to look at the pump/SWG later today.

He sent me the video here:

Essentially, the water is trickling down over the bottom of the pump as it runs.

He's been my pool guy for a year/year and a half. I spoke with a new pool maintenance company this morning--the new guy is a veteran, and he actually lives in the same town that I do, so I'm hopeful that things will work out with him. The new guy is going to head over to the house to look at the pump/SWG later today.
Based on the little that can be seen of the front of the motor, it is gone. Seal has been leaking a long time to cause that much rust/corrosion. Have never been a fan of Jandy pumps, the repairs don't seem to last, but maybe that's just me. If the sealplate has no crack, if the impeller has no crack (both are what I have seen most and will cause a leak like that), a Nidec NPTT165 motor will go on that pump. The motor in the video does not appear to be a variable-speed.

Based on the little that can be seen of the front of the motor, it is gone. Seal has been leaking a long time to cause that much rust/corrosion. Have never been a fan of Jandy pumps, the repairs don't seem to last, but maybe that's just me. If the sealplate has no crack, if the impeller has no crack (both are what I have seen most and will cause a leak like that), a Nidec NPTT165 motor will go on that pump. The motor in the video does not appear to be a variable-speed.
Thanks for weighing in. I had a different pool guy stop by yesterday to have a look. He also recommended replacing the pump entirely.

What is a fair/reasonable price range, parts and labor included, to replace a pool pump? If so, what pump would you recommend? I don't intend to stay in the house for very long (2-3 years more, perhaps). And I don't intend to take the pump with me :)

Thanks for weighing in. I had a different pool guy stop by yesterday to have a look. He also recommended replacing the pump entirely.

What is a fair/reasonable price range, parts and labor included, to replace a pool pump? If so, what pump would you recommend? I don't intend to stay in the house for very long (2-3 years more, perhaps). And I don't intend to take the pump with me :)
Don't know Florida prices. New pool everything is expensive and much depends on who does the work. Many on this forum are very happy with the Calimar 3hp VSP. They are available online for about $500-$600 dollars but would need someone to install it. You may find your new tech willing to do that, for a fee. Some will, others won't. Would save a considerable amount of money over what he would likely be willing to supply. I can't buy a VSP through a wholesaler for less than twice that amount. Either way, be sure a GFCI breaker is installed with it, it is code-required and will add to the cost.

So my new tech was willing to install the Calimar 1.5HP VS pump, but apparently nobody has this 1.5HP model in stock. I just placed the order on Pool Supply Unlimited, and they told me it could be 6 months until the 1.5HP pump comes in.

So the question is, can I get away with a 3HP pump on my pool (even though it is 15K gal)? And if not, is there an alternative to the Calimar 1.5HP that you might recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.