Broken Lateral?

I recently replaced the laterals on my S220T. It's about 12 years old. After vacuuming out the sand, the vertical pipe just cracked off when I barely touched it and the laterals just crumbled and snapped off when I tried to fold them up with a minimum of force. I couldn't believe how brittle the plastic had become. I think after that many years that whole assembly is basically toast. The new ones are black and the old ones were white, so maybe the new material is a bit more robust (wishful thinking?) In any event, for $60 or so you just have to bite the bullet and replace the dagum thing.

Well, here what happened to me:

At some point I was talked into replacing the sand (after 4 years) for glass. Let's just say I was tired of fighting algae and the EcoSmarte folks after telling me all kinds of good reason their system did not perform as promissed, when having exhausted them, said that my sand is bad (yeah right, after 3 seasons they kept telling it to me).
So, when people came to repace it, they took out sand, took out the lateral assy, and though it was perfectly fine after 4 years, they insisted it had to be changed. Extra money. It did look different color-wise, otherwise was the same.
Athis happened mid-season, in July.
Putting glass involves first covering laterals with gravel, then the glass goes on.

Then it worked one more full season. That is, 1.5 seasons.

Anyway, next season I opened the filter to clean the top and saw that new pipe cracked longitude - wise.
I ran that season with this pipe. I figured, it would do some filtering. It did.
Next season I opened it...a piece of pipe above the sand was gone somI realized it will do very little filtering, so I tossed the glass, the lateral (it was fully crumbling) and replace it all. I am still not sure if it was the pipe type, or the glass, or....dunno.

4 years isn't very long, that sucks. If you aren't the do-it-yourself type, those pool companies are going to rock your arse off with the labor on this job. It takes a couple hours IF things go well. That means one guy doing the work at $90/hr and another guy watching him doing nothing at $90/hr. I'm not really down with that so I manned up and did it myself. I'm hoping this rebuild I did lasts for 10 years. Of course in the meantime I'll have other things broken on the pool to work on lol...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.