BROKEN FILTER LID IS STUCK

Flo B

Aug 1, 2023
Houston
Posting since this Pentair pump lid problem is getting trickier with each attempt: 1. Cracked old lid by the handle by overtightening. 2 Lost priming. 3. Tried to open lid and broke one end of the lid/leaving a gaping hole. 4. Using wrenches - plain or strap - I just broke the lid dome down to thread base, I guess the age of the lid shows. 5 With only threaded rim left I had cut a fine gap trying not to cut oring or filter body. 6. Still cannot unscrew the leftover part of lid, so what is left? Should I chip it and get it in 2-3 pieces? I am worried I may cut filter body. 7. Think if I cool it I could break it easier? Ideas are welcome anytime. Flo

Maybe create a small groove in the side of the lid ring, then take a small screwdriver and try to gently tap the remaining lid/ring counterclockwise? Have you tried applying some heat to help loosen the residual pool lube or whatever has it stuck so tight?

maybe heat/cooling?
If leverage alone doesn't work, I would definitely apply some heat. A regular blow dryer should be enough without damaging the pot. Helped me out of a jam with a rusted bolt on my car repair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Posting since this Pentair pump lid problem is getting trickier with each attempt: 1. Cracked old lid by the handle by overtightening. 2 Lost priming. 3. Tried to open lid and broke one end of the lid/leaving a gaping hole. 4. Using wrenches - plain or strap - I just broke the lid dome down to thread base, I guess the age of the lid shows. 5 With only threaded rim left I had cut a fine gap trying not to cut oring or filter body. 6. Still cannot unscrew the leftover part of lid, so what is left? Should I chip it and get it in 2-3 pieces? I am worried I may cut filter body. 7. Think if I cool it I could break it easier? Ideas are welcome anytime. Flo
While trying to stay out of the body threads on that pump hair-and-lint pot, cut the lid into several sections. Since there is no pressure in that part of the pump when it is running, a few nicks in the threads won't prevent the new lid from tightening against the O ring to seal it. Use a screwdriver for its most common use, as a chisel/pry bar and remove the sections. After a few are out the rest will be easy.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.