Broken drain plug off DE/Multiport valve

pbanda

May 21, 2015
Phoenixville,PA
I need some of your advice… what is easiest/cheapest way to fix the plumbing so I can put a new clean out piece in? Can I dig out broken piece or go over it (file it down)? Do I need to take it back to union and buy a new union?
Thanks!
F81E3BD9-10D8-4BD1-94AC-79B9FBDFD452.jpeg

Last edited:
If not a cap, then looks like a coupler bushing with female threads both ends. It's flush with tee OD, so either attached to tee with threaded nipple or glued nipple. Looks more like threads run deep into nipple.

P,

I have not used that specific tool, but I used one that was a little more expensive and it worked perfectly.

Looking at your pic it appears the two pipes are glued together. If true, that is exactly what the tool is designed to fix.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

You need to use one of these..

Well maybe not.. I had assumed it was a standard PVC T without any threads...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have one of those, and have used it. It is not nearly as neat and easy as they make it look. It looks like you had a Tee - short pipe - fitting . My best advice is to use either a hacksaw blade, a hand saw for PVC or a vibrating cutter and very carefully cut the remaining piece on the outer ring in 1 -2 places, then use a heat gun to soften the PVC and cause the glue to release. you can use a flathead screwdriver and a pair of pliers to then peel away the remains on the outside. use sandpaper to clean up the remaining stub, then primer and glue in a new piece. One note, be careful not to heat up the inner pipe too much or it will soften and deform, at which point it will be very difficult to glue to since it will no longer be round. I have used this method successfully for many, many pool plumbing repairs.

If that is truly 1.25" pipe, glue one of these inside after cutting the broken portion off cleanly:
It will give you a place to glue on a coupler, adapter, etc. Essentially a fresh start. Recommending the part, not the supplier, don't know anything about them.

Reactions: crusemm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: I was able to fix it thanks to your reassurance. I ended up using a heat gun to get old piece out. You guys have probably done this a bunch and I am sure if in my panic I used the search button I could have found something :). It was 1 1/2” pipe not 1 1/4”… I didn’t have my readers on. I ended up going with a pressure rated fitting instead of a DWV clean out So I had to extend it a little. Can you use DWV on pool pipe? Thanks!

Attachments

• 57CFD3C2-4622-4AED-BF20-9814904AC703.jpeg
    57CFD3C2-4622-4AED-BF20-9814904AC703.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 0
  • F10292DD-87C9-4F5C-B7F7-4A701BF21EC4.jpeg
    F10292DD-87C9-4F5C-B7F7-4A701BF21EC4.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 0
  • B10B325F-D765-400E-A709-496B7B77D6E6.jpeg
    B10B325F-D765-400E-A709-496B7B77D6E6.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: crusemm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.