Brief humming from pump motor

No I didn't. Never had to before but I can see where the available water is much less then I've had before. Should I close the valve that leads into the pump before I fill it with water? If so do I start the pump first then immediately open the valve? or what?

Well to top it all off I have a rather significant leak coming from the junction of the motor and the pump housing. So I'm done. I'm going on vacation and the algae will probably come. So be it. Hawaii here I come! Thank you everyone for all your help!

Okay, I'm back from vacation and no visible algae so far (woo-hoo). I found the probable reason for the leak...one of the reused bolts would not screw into the threads in the motor. I bought a new bolt and it went in fine. I have reinstalled the motor and pump parts (I replaced the seals). I put a running hose into the pump filter and allow it to run for awhile to be sure the plumbing had plenty of water. I restored power to the motor and turned it on. I saw water getting sucked out of the pump filter housing but no water entering it from the plumbing. What reaction should I see in the area of the pump filter?

So I found a manual online and it said to have pump run for 5 minutes to allow motor to prime. I did that but my pressure reads 0. I was getting a lot of yellow coming out of a couple of return jets (pollen I assume). But water flow was almost non-existent. Ugh...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It might take 5 min before all the air is out of the pump basket but the priming process should start well before that and you should start to see water entering the pump basket before 60 seconds.

Fill up the pump basket as much as you can with the hose, put the lid on and then turn the pump on. The pump lid MUST be on and tight or the pump will never prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.