Brand new to pools not chemistry :)

When you vacuum the bottom set your filter to waste so the gunk goes around the filter and out to the ground. I would have a water hose going into the pool at the same time to help put back the water you are taking out.

-Filter-make sure pump is off before turning the handle. ONLY turn the handle one way. That will help keep the gasket from moving or binding.

Now you will be stirring up the gunk sooooo it will look worse when you are done working on it. :(

Kim

Welcome to TFP!! That's awesome that you have an autocover!!! That's a $10k-15k upgrade. I'm not sure the cover is there though because the leading edge of the bar is often visible on top of that sloped tile wall.

I know it's not your top priority but if you look under or pull up one of the coping stones covering it, you can see if the cover is still there. If not it's probably $3-5k to get it back in working order - but SO worth it.

If it is there, I'd be tempted to have it serviced before flicking the switch. It's an expensive piece of equipment and no need to do any damage needlessly.

Aqua-Matic is still in business in Gilroy, CA with an active website.

I'm stoked about your autocover! I don't think I've ever seen one on a pool that came with a house here.

I have one and love it - thus the excitement.

You're in good hands here on the SLAM side of things.

Found this upon inspection. Everything around here is in need of maintenance I cant catch a break. Trying to decide if I want to pay anyone or fill it in myself.

Is this a big problem? It looks like some water has gotten behind the plaster there.

I am not sure the cover is there either. The wife is here now so shortly I'll be able to go inspect more thoroughly.

Jared

One or two tiles? Sure, you'll be able to do it. At least good enough to hold you over for later if you ever decide to have the entire waterline tile job re-done. Most important thing is preventing water from going behind it in the future.

Autocover and in-floor cleaning, lots of tech. Which can be good for features and bad from an expense point of view. On the autocover, from that picture is a little hard to tell if the cover is attached to a leading bar (which pulls the cover across the pool). It seems like we are looking at the underside of the stainless steel brackets and the gray cover is just on the main roller down in the pit.

There are mixed opinions on the in-floor tech. Some here do really enjoy it. IIRC they may be people who are in very dusty areas. It will be interesting to see if that fires up and works (and its effectiveness).

Back on the cover, ropes are something that is a common maintenance item and may need attention.

I plan on having my kit in hand today.

I called everyone and no one really wants to do that tile work, so I am going to attempt it tonight. I havent been able to find an example like mine online so I am going to ask here.

1. Remove tile or tiles
2. Fill hole with hydraulic cement? What do I fill that with.
3. Allow to set apply thinset place tile.
3. Allow to set grout and finish.
4. Maybe remove plaster below tiles and patch?

Could someone with some knowledge help me out here.

I am having some contractors over to do some HVAC work tomorrow so while the pool is filling I plan on scooping and brushing algae. Once filled I plan on checking levels and doing some pool math so I can go grab chemicals.

Should I get some Bicarb? I know the pH of my cities water is higher than target, so should I get some just in case I over shoot?

Thanks
Jared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the tile all squared away and am filling the pool currently. SHould be able to test the water tomorrow and Monday fire up all the equipment. My friend and I took apart that turbo clean thing and it appears as if that isn't functioning as all the gears dont turn. Does that need to be fixed is it essential? Based on what I can tell online it moves the water to the filter faster? Can someone educate me?

Will post numbers when I test.

Thanks

Just grabbed a pic and did a test series to see how everything worked out. The taylor kit is really nice, makes life really easy.

pH=7.8 or 8 tap water so expected
FC and CC = 0
CYA=0
Alkalinity=30

These numbers fall in line with the city report I pulled from the web, good to be able to confirm that here. :)

So I'll need plenty of acid and bleach when I get ready to go based on pool math.

Plan is as follows if everything works on initial test.

1. Adjust pH to 7.2-7.4
2. Add bleach make sure no ammonia present.
3. Add CYA stabilizer until around 30
4. Boost Chlorine to shock level via this chart Chlorine/CYA Chart and pool math approximately 24-30
5. Scrub and check via SLAM method.
6. Take numerous pics during the process.

Sound good? Any amendments?

Jared

Definitely for the granular stabilizer. Wal-Mart, HD and Lowes have a 4-lb container for about $16. Acid is a toss-up. Some hardware store have acid a little cheaper, but be careful ... the big thing when comparing acid is the percentage strength, so watch that closely to ensure you're getting apples for apples.

I was just reading the chemicals section again, it says not to back flush the filter for 24 hours. Would this be advisable if I have a sand filter? Can I just not stir up the algae and let everything else run through? I am just concerned about to much pressure on the filter itself if I add stabilizer and let the pool run for a day.

For this specific reason TFP suggests dissolving the Cya in a sock. In this condition, a pool needs to be back washed frequently, so it makes adding Cya to the filter less desirable. If you don't need to backwash for a while, it's fine in most cases, but not when initially clearing a swamp like this.

For this specific reason TFP suggests dissolving the Cya in a sock. In this condition, a pool needs to be back washed frequently, so it makes adding Cya to the filter less desirable. If you don't need to backwash for a while, it's fine in most cases, but not when initially clearing a swamp like this.

So since I am back washing I wont get the expected value? I'll have to do it two doses if that is the case. Add CYA circulate 24 and check. Add aditional CYA circulate 24 and check. With backflushes as needed.

This sound good?

If you dissolved your stabilizer in a sock first, then your CYA should be fine. The main concern with backwashing is to avoid losing (solid) stabilizer that was poured directly into the pool, skimmer, or vacuum, thereby backwashing the un-dissolved granules right out. In your case, pre-dissolving in a sock, you should be fine. I wouldn't add any more just yet. Perhaps check CYA in a couple days to see what it shows and adjust from there if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.