Brand new pool owners

OK So tell me why this would be a terrible idea.

Our pool has an overflow drain above the return jets so the pool won't overflow. It drains out to the street.

I called the city today and I was told "The state doesn't really like draining the pool to the street but do what you gotta do"

Why don't we just put a hose in and allow the pool to "overflow" into the drain for a while until the CYA lowers? Is there anything wrong with it that we aren't thinking of?

We've managed to successfully lower our CYA from <100 to between 40 and 50!! I really feel accomplished. We just added 96oz of Muriatic to bring down the ph from 8.2 to 7.5 and then we are going to start our first SLAM!

I feel like I'm in control and I understand what's going on with my pool for the first time. This is fantastic.

You ARE in control. Now say, if you lower your pH even a little more to 7.2-7.4 - that's okay. Since pH tends to rise a bit, you night like it a little lower if your SLAM takes a while. Once you start the SLAM, you won't test pH again until after the SLAM when the FC goes back under 10. Your SLAM FC will be 20. Takes pics and keep us posted. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ended up letting it overflow a little. We were a little concerned about letting it just overflow into the street for an undetermined amount of time. We backwashed until it was down to the skimmer line and we started seeing a lot of bubbles so we stopped. Instead of going out and buying an underwater sump right away, we just refilled and backwashed to the tipping point again. We did it four times and saw the CYA drop about 10 points every time. It worked well enough and we could do it after work instead of having to watch it all day. It probably wasn't the most efficient way to do it but it worked.

OH! Another question. We have a DE filter and when we bought the house is was about 22 pounds of pressure. It's been slowing edging up. After backwashing now its around 26. We are planning on cleaning the filter next weekend using the instructions I found on this site (What a resource!) anyway. Does anyone know how we can find the proper amount of DE to add when we are restarting? Also how to prime a pump again after we open it up?

Not sure which model DE filter you have, but this is from the Hayward site:
Capture.JPG

After cleaning the filter and securing the lid, you'll open any shut-off 3-way valves before/after the pump that may have been closed during the cleaning, You can remove the pump strainer basket clear lid and fill-up the basket with water, secure the lid, then start it up. It should hold prime from there.

I have no idea what's going on!!!

OK, so I started here:
TA: 260
ph: 7.2
CYA 40-50
FC: 2
CC: 0.5

We added 3.5 gallons 10% chlorine

30 minutes in the FC was at 13 and CC was at 1. Target was 16 so we added another 2qts and 3 cups.

60 minutes: FC is 21 and CC is 1

90 minutes FC is 24 and CC is 1.

WHY IS IT GOING UP???

Are you using some magical bleach this evening? :geek: Well, let's back-up and see what you have here:
- Starting at an FC of 2 and adding 3.5 gal of 10%, it should've taken you to an FC of 17 (per Poolmath Calculator) If it only went to 13, either your 10% was weak, your pool volume off, or testing was in error (10 ml sample .. use drops until pink goes to clear and multiply by 0.5 - basically but in half totally # of drops.
- 2 more quarts & 3 cups should take the FC to about 20
- No more additions but still climbing to 24 ???

So I suspect a various things may be happening ...
- Are you testing with the pump mixing the water real well? If so, are you testing from the same location each time?
- Based on the total amount of 10% bleach added, it's very possible your # (24) and mine (20) are separated because of either pool volume, testing disparities, or strength in bleach. Or combination of them all. Really hard to tell.

Oh, on the calculator, did you manually enter "10" in the field on the FC row titled "weight" for the percentage of the bleach?

Yes, I remember changing the bleach % to 10. My husband suspects our pool volume is off. It's a 14 x 48 rectangle that's depth goes 4ft, 8ft, 3ft so it's odd to calculate the actual volume. Pool math says around 23,600.

At 120 minutes, it dropped to 21. Do we just let it drop overnight and test in the morning? Do we keep testing and add more chlorine (if it drops below 16) until we go to bed? We've been testing and adjusting every 30-45 minutes as per the slam instructions. We've also brushed twice.

At 150 it was at 21 again so we left it until 180 minutes. Then I tested twice and got 27 both times! I have no idea what's going on. It seems to be bouncing around like crazy and I don't know why. We are going to leave it until the morning. I will set an alarm and get up before the sun to do a OFCT.

To make matters worse, my husband threw the Stir Stick out with the bathwater (FC) on his first time using the test.

Ideas are welcome.

I messed around with the Poolmath Calculator a bit more and believe that because you have two shallow ends, with a deep in the middle, your pool volume may be a bit smaller than the 23,600 estimate. Based on those two shallow ends and average reaction of FC level from the amount of bleach added, I'm getting a volume of about 22,600. Doesn't seem like a big change, but it may be something to watch as you continue to adjust chemicals levels in the future. Shame you lost your speed stir "bean". :brickwall: Those are priceless for mixing, but at least you can order another one. How is your circulation? Often times there are some odd spots in a pool where chlorine just doesn't seem to travel well. That might be something else to consider.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.