Brand new pool... brand new pump... having problems.

Have you checked the pump seal?? If the pump seal is out it will cause the pump not to prime or pull a small prime... I am with Scott have your PB pull of the ball valves and replace them with Jandy valves..

1) What's the filter pressure? Not that back pressure will heat the motor much.
2) I am not convinced it's wired right but it may be a Jandy pump with a defective motor. As Forest Gump said when jogging, It Happens. What? Bleep?, Sometimes!

Can you post a pic of the timer's wiring and the wiring connection in the pump? Relatively close would help.

Scott

Re: Re: Brand new pool... brand new pump... having problems.

PoolGuyNJ said:
1) What's the filter pressure? Not that back pressure will heat the motor much.
2) I am not convinced it's wired right but it may be a Jandy pump with a defective motor. As Forest Gump said when jogging, It Happens. What? Bleep?, Sometimes!

Can you post a pic of the timer's wiring and the wiring connection in the pump? Relatively close would help.

Scott

Filter pressure fluctuates between 10-20 psi because of the in floor cleaner. The wall jets seem to be in the 10psi range while the floor heads are near 20 psi. These readings are seen on both the filter gauge as well as the paramount valve gauge.

Will try to get those photos after work. Its a tight space between pump and privacy fence.

Sent from my DROIDX

PB is replacing ball valves with the Jandy neverlube 3-port. He is also adding another Jandy Valve to completely bypass the water heater if need be. He said he took the pump apart looking for trash in the impeller and everything looks good. I'm not sure if the checked the seals, I didn't specifically ask. He's starting to think it's a bad motor.

PB is still waiting to hear from Jandy tech support. He spoke with Paramount and they may send a field-rep to come look at the system to see if they can figure out what's going on since the wall jets (Paramount Swing Jets) seem to be acting funny but it's likely related to the pump issue. Paramount is sending him new swing jets anyway.

You said he redid the plumbing. Any chance you want to show the redo?

That you now are pulling prime is a good thing. It really sounds like the motor was miss wired somewhere, whether it's the outside connections or inside the pump or the rotor, which is the spinning part of the motor, is bound, but because it's new, is still lubed. Very unusual for Jandy but not unheard of.

Scott

Sorry, PB is in the process of redoing the plumbing. He's ordering the Jandy valves. In the meantime he did the heater bypass valve with ball valves. He spoke with Jandy tech support and they are sending a new motor. Not sure how they came to that conclusion.

You guys won't believe this. Apparently our electrician subcontractor didn't change the default pump wiring from 220v to 115v. The PB assumed the electrician had double checked everything since we both met him at home to have him check it. Today, as the PB was getting ready to swap the motor, he realized it was wired WRONG after all.

PB wired it correctly and ironically, the pump is now pushing way too much pressure than we need for the in-floor system. We now suspect that the original, smaller pump was also wired wrong. The new pump is pushing 30psi on the new cartridge filter as well as the paramount valve.

Thank you all for the help. I feel SOOOO much better knowing it's not a plumbing issue or anything terrible.

If you have wall returns, open them and shut the Paramount if you can. The gearbox for the distribution mushroom creates quite a bit of head. Then open the Paramount feed as needed to get the job done.

As I suggested earlier, that filter is still too small. Filters are one of the few situations where bigger is better, especially cartridges. Stealths are a powerful design.

Scott

PB is working on redoing plumbing. Paramount tech support suggested we add a valve between pump and filter to restrict the pressure down to 22-25 psi. My wall returns are paramount swing jets which require the paramount valve anyway. However the wall jets only push about 12 psi since each wall jet zone has 3 swing jets that operate simultaneously.

Sent from my DROIDX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolGuyNJ said:
Boo, Hisss. Use a 3/4 HP Impeller.

Scott

We ended up doing neither. Turns out our friendly but inept electrician had wired the original pump incorrectly as well. We tried using the original, smaller pump and now that it's wired correctly, the Paramount floor cleaner is working perfectly at 22psi.

On a side note, I chose to rewire the pool heater myself since the electrician also left it set up for 240V. It was also not working when I tested it. Once I wired it for 120V, it fired up right away. Took about 10 minutes to fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.