Brand New Pentair IC40 - No Flow and Chlorine Lights flashing Green and Red

Jul 12, 2016
Prosperity, SC
I just bought a new IC40 to replace my 6 year old IC40 that was exhibiting the same symptoms. I figured the 6 year old one had reached is life span so I would just replace it. Got the new one today and installed it and have the same issue. When I turn it on, the Low flow light is solid red and the top 2 lights (good / low salt) alternate flashing green and red. It seemed like my old one (when it was working correctly) used to do this right when it would start up for a couple of minutes but the salt lights would finally quit alternating. I have a single speed pump and the jets in the pool seem to be pumping their normal amount of water. My filter pressure is slightly higher than it typically is. It is at 20psi and it normally stays around 15 or 16. I have backwashed an rinsed. Nothing seems to be correct the no flow light. I even turned the sensor a little and I can here it close when it is lined up correctly. My IC40 is tied into an easy touch system. Any idea what is going on and what I might try to get it working again? Thanks!

W,

Either you have good flow or you don't. Since your old cell had the same problem, logic says you don't have good flow.

The EasyTouch does not control or detect flow, it is all inside the cell and flow switch.

Where did you buy the cell? E-bay?

Show us several pics of your equipment pad, maybe someone here can spot something.

The puzzle is that is does not take a lot of flow to close the switch so it should be pretty apparent if the flow is low

Thanks,

Jim R.

The new filter was bought at the pool store. Here are some pics of the setup. Something I failed to mention, I replaced the pump this summer so that could have been why my filter now shows 20 psi instead of the 16 I used to see it at.

Attachments

• 20220109_164433.jpg
    20220109_164433.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220109_164439.jpg
    20220109_164439.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220109_164511.jpg
    20220109_164511.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220109_164521.jpg
    20220109_164521.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 26
That ic40 looks installed upside down to me. It is best to have water flow up when the cell is installed vertically.

Your cell has a downward flow. The flow switch needs to be on the top.

1641765543248.png

Also note with a downward flow if your flow switch fails the water flow can keep your flow switch closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Previous one had the flow switch turned 180 degrees from how it is supposed to be installed.

W,

As other have said.. Your cell is upside down and installed in the wrong position.

Since you were turning the flow switch assy I would double check the little arrow on it and make sure it is pointing the way it should.

Jim R.

Ok. I took my old cell off and put the new one back on upside down and it is working. You guys were correct my old cell if you look at the flow sensor has the arrow on the gray nut pointing opposite of the flow indicated on the main unit. I am sure this is what got everything messed up as I had no idea my installer installed it upside down and I probably messed up the flow sensor on my old unit. $900 screw up

You can get replacement flow switch for about $60. If needed.

As mentioned above, flow should be up through a vertically installed Pentair swcg. As yours is installed, if the flow switch fails, it likely will fail ON, which is dangerous for a swcg.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.