Bottom drain / skimmer diverter valve necessary?

We recently had our pool pump go out, and I replaced it myself. As part of that I had to re-plumb around the pump due to different positioning on the new model. I wasn't able to save the three way valve, so I stopped at the pool store to pick up another one. They were going to charge about double the online price, so I said "no thanks" and for now, just plumbed it up directly with a tee fitting, with both suction sources always connected. I could have waited for the new valve to arrive, but was in a rush to get the pool clean for an upcoming event.

My question: is it going to be bad to have both skimmer and bottom drain always connected and flowing into the pump? I was thinking when I vacuum I could put a thick cloth over the bottom drain to increase skimmer suction. And will the three way valve be important for winterizing the pool? It does freeze here, but usually not in an extreme way. I have flexible PVC underground, for what that's worth.

Side comment 1: I had a terrible time trying to use flexible PVC on the pressure side of the pump - kept exploding and shooting a LARGE volume of water around in my pool shed. Fun! Eventually I gave up and just used rigid PVC on the pressure side. I have some flexible PVC on the suction side which is holding just fine.

Side comment 2: Nobody else should do this without consulting an electrician, but while I was at it I wired up a Kasa/TP-Link Wifi enabled wall switch for my pump. It's 230V and the switch isn't exactly intended for that, so I'll probably put up a warning sign for future me about shutting it off at the breaker before doing anything (one wire will always go to the pump hot since the switch is designed for 115V). Works really well, and I am really happy to save some bucks by getting it on an automated schedule now.

Thanks PNWDad. I guess my question was meant to be whether I will ever really need the 3 way diverter valve, or if I can just keep the tee.
You'll figure that out when you see how the vacuum works, and if it skims properly. You might discover you have too much suction going to the drain and stuff will float on past the skimmer, get waterlogged, and sink. And then you'll have to struggle to vacuum it up because there isn't enough suction. Or not. Maybe it'll work fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.