Both new to pools and this forum

Aug 29, 2018
Pa
Hello to all! My family is moving to a new house starting this weekend that has a inground pool. I am apart of a couple of forums( example smokingmeatforum) and forums probably are one of the best sources of information for whatever subject, so i thought why wouldn't pools be any different?? I do not know alot of information about the pool except for it goes up to 7ft deep and i beleive it has a sand filter( because pervious owner said he just backwashed it and i thought you can only do that to sand filters).

My starting questions is

1. Best pool tester kit on Amazon
2. Whats the most thing you need to keep up on with a pool
3. What's with these magic erasers in the skimmer, to do or not???:lol:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

1. Look at the recommended test kits Link in my signature. The tf100 from tftestkits.net is the best deal. I think you can get it on Amazon but it costs more. The SpeedStir is also a great addition.

2. The key to keeping a pool clear and safe is maintaining adequate chlorine levels. You need to keep the FC above the minimum listed for your cya in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] at all times.

3. It is nonsense.

1. Best pool tester kit on Amazon

The best kit on Amazon is the Taylor K-2006C. The problem with Amazon is, depending on the seller, it could have been sitting in a warehouse for a period of time and you don't know the conditions (e.g., heat, etc.). You can buy a tf-100 from a sister site, which is the same reagents/test. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the seller buys the reagents in bulk and repackages them into the sizes needed for most consumers and sells them. It's probably a better deal.

2. Whats the most thing you need to keep up on with a pool. A proper test kit that includes an FAS-DPD chlorine test (and some source of chlorine of course). Other things are needed occasionally, but that's the most important.

3. What's with these magic erasers in the skimmer, to do or not? Useless, but simmer socks/hair nets are great. It makes cleaning the skimmer baskets easier, and keeps less debris from your filter. I have a cartridge filter that I hate cleaning, so I like to do things that give me longer between cleans.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.