Both FC and Total chlorine high

Flboy44

Jan 30, 2022
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
In the middle of a SWG and pump/pad conversion. After 5 days of no circulation, got the pool running yesterday! No salt yet.
Pool store readings:
FC 10.13
TC 10.8
CYA 90- yay! Was 156! Dumped a lot of water!
PH 7.4
TA 58
CH 63
Am I correct in assuming the total chlorine is so high because of the high FC? I was surprised at the FC level, I had added about 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine the day before! Later that day, I added about two cups of muriatic because of the ph being so high!
I’m wanting to be past water dumps before adding salt and turning on the SWG! Obviously, I need to start on the TA and CH levels, today’s agenda!

Your chlorine is not high. You should target 10% of CYA for your nominal chlorine level. And CC's under 1 are great. But, I would not trust any test the pool store does. What does your testing yield?

Reactions: Flboy44
My chlorine test and PH agreed exactly with the store test!
ATM I’m using an inexpensive 5 way Poolmaster test kit.

Chlorine and pH are probably ok with that kit. But, I would suggest you get a high quality TF-100 test kit which uses lab-grade Taylor reagents.

In chasing the TA and CH numbers, my understanding is to go after the TA first? And use sodium bicarbonate first as apposed to Borax? I’m really not up to speed on the Borax advantages yet! Then to the CH! Per the charts , I believe I’m looking a 25+ lbs!
Once my numbers are hitting the low side of the recommendations, I plan to start the bags of salt!
Logical?

With a fiberglass pool CH isn't as important. But 25lbs sounds about right. I dump calcium chloride off the end of my diving board and measure the level the next day. Careful with calcium chloride when it reacts with water it can get hot enough to burn you so don't pre-mix in a bucket!

I see no reason for you to add Borax. Your pH is fine.

Your T/A is fine as well. But don't adjust it until you test it with the TF-100 however.

In chasing the TA and CH numbers, my understanding is to go after the TA first? And use sodium bicarbonate first as apposed to Borax? I’m really not up to speed on the Borax advantages yet! Then to the CH! Per the charts , I believe I’m looking a 25+ lbs!
Once my numbers are hitting the low side of the recommendations, I plan to start the bags of salt!
Logical?
Be careful with the TA from pool store test. I guess they report adjusted TA which tends to make them sell you something to adjust it when it doesn’t actually need it. Get one of the recommended Taylor kits and use that before adjusting anything. Don’t ever be tempted to trust a pool store water test.

With a fiberglass pool CH isn't as important. But 25lbs sounds about right. I dump calcium chloride off the end of my diving board and measure the level the next day. Careful with calcium chloride when it reacts with water it can get hot enough to burn you so don't pre-mix in a bucket!

I see no reason for you to add Borax. Your pH is fine.

Your T/A is fine as well. But don't adjust it until you test it with the TF-100 however.
My present TA is 58! Wait, I just went to the San Juan Pool website and, yes, I’m close to their recommended minimum! So CH is my first target! Just found a 5lb pail I bought years ago at, even then, a great discount!

FC/CYA Levels
Get a test kit asap so you’re not chasing your tail.
K2006c +salt
Or
tf100/pro salt
Test your salt level BEFORE adding any salt 🧂
As mentioned above all your levels are fine if they are accurate aside from ch being a little low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think your TA is fine, and will likely creep up some as everything else settles. CH is your pool is not critical either. As stated by others, a TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Math app will be your best friends. FC and TC do not seem particularly high either.
Your CYA is a little high, but will be fine with a SWCG in play.

You need a quality test kit as mentioned above. I would not make any changes beyond chlorine and pH until your chemistry has been verified by you with either a Taylor K-2006C or a TF-100/TFPro.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.