Boric acid best price anywhere!

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Well, I finally did it! I'm gonna be one of the cool borate havin' kids. I searched and did all the math for every possible way to do borates in my pool. I did the math a few weeks ago, and Duda diesel won by a few bucks, and an easier process than borax and acid. Fortunately for me, though it didn't seem like it when I saw it, they are now out of a lot of their sizes other than the 55lb and some small bags. I checked around online and found that rural king has, at least on their website, the 76oz borax for $3.99. Based on what the cool poolmath app said, it would cost me $131.12 to get 50ppm borates in my pool using borax and acid. The Duda diesel route put me at $166.32 for 110lbs($1.51/lb including shipping). $108.86 of that would be the initial dose to get me to 50ppm, and the rest would be for later. Then I started looking for other places that had it. I scoured Amazon, eBay, and then searched google shopping. That's where I stumbled upon bulk apothecary. They were cheaper on the product, a tad higher on shipping, and lower overall; and I found a 10% off coupon on RetailMeNot. I got 110lbs shipped for $145.65 which is $1.32/lb., and the initial dose will cost $95.33. Now I just need the borate test strips from tftestkits. They're tied for the best price on those.
c6fa113299e1159909f2b5da245634ad.jpg
608ef5e2f69da8d5c88a235ae536c61e.jpg

Thanks for posting that!!

Either lots of people are borating their pools OR there's more of a cockroach problem out there these days. Duda is usually a very reliable and cheap source so I hope they stock back up soon. This reminds me to bump up my borates when I get home.

I also researched and found Bulk Apothecary to be the cheapest, I ordered about 2 months ago and only issue I had was they shipped it in like a paper sack thing (like bags of cement) inside a box and it got damaged by UPS in transit so called up CS at Bulk Apothecary and they resent another 55 lbs free of charge. Second shipment was FedEx and no problem, I now have enough to last along time.

Salty

I have used Bulk Apothecary before and heads up: the boric acid is powdered, not granular. Their prices are good, no question, and only about a 2 hour drive away so next time I will likely save on shipping and pick it up, but it is a bit of a pain to add powder boric acid to the pool compared to granular.

I have used Bulk Apothecary before and heads up: the boric acid is powdered, not granular. Their prices are good, no question, and only about a 2 hour drive away so next time I will likely save on shipping and pick it up, but it is a bit of a pain to add powder boric acid to the pool compared to granular.

In that case its an even better deal because powder is more expensive at duda diesel. I wasn't sure if it was powder or granular. I read the reviews, and saw people call it both.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it looks like my wish came true. I added the borates, and I've only added sequestrant once. My steps have started to stain again, but it is going very slowly. Not like the couple days between sparkly white and dingy brown that I'm used to. I noticed they were starting to discolor a week ago, and they still aren't ugly enough to upset me yet. I call that a win!

I know this is an older thread but the subject is right for my post. I have done an exhaustive search for the best price for boric acid. The best I could find online is just a bit under $100 for 50 pounds. I live in a very rural area that allows access to farm supply stores, which is where I've always bought my sodium bicarb from...around $14 for 50 pounds. This made me think, since BA is used for pest control maybe they would carry that also. I made the call and I'm glad I did...50 pound bags of granular BA for $35. I couldn't believe it. So if you are close to a farm co-op store it's definitely worth giving them a call. Even a drive to the next county over might be a big savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.