Borax

7Iron

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Mobile
My old box of Borax's ingredient was sodium tetraborate (with 4 atoms ???) and the new box is sodium borate (without 4 atoms????)

Is it the same thing and one is just "slang" (which would shock me) and if not , is there an impact on pool math

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 11
I think that I found my answer at WebMD:

Borax is a powdery white substance, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate. It’s widely used as a household cleaner and a booster for laundry detergent. It’s a combination of boron, sodium, and oxygen.

Borax is often found in dry lake beds in places like California’s Death Valley, where the water evaporated and left behind deposits of minerals.

Boric acid is made from the same chemical compound as borax and even looks like it. But while borax is commonly used in cleaning, boric acid is mainly used as a pesticide. Boric acid kills insects by targeting their stomachs and nervous systems.

Both borax and boric acid in loose powder form can be harmful if swallowed, particularly for children. They can also irritate your skin.

and just incase you want to make your own: the formula is Na₂[B₄O₅(OH)₄]·8H₂O and if you are anal like me and you find "borax, also called tincal, sodium tetraborate decahydrate (Na2B4O7·10H2O)" at another site then you shake your head and recall why you became an Industrial Engineer and not a Chemical Engineer

but I am guessing Na₂[B₄O₅(OH)₄]·8H₂O equals Na2B4O7·10H2O

over and OUT of here

Last edited:
And for the folks who need to know useless info, as I do. I have found a video explaining and showing why Na2B4O7·10H2O should be express as Na₂[B₄O₅(OH)₄]·8H₂O. I do not speak Indian so it was a little difficult to follow but I think that I get it.

and now I am both OVER and OUT

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: fishbait
Borax is sodium tetraborate (decahydrate), but sometimes simply called sodium borate. I don't think that sodium monoborate even exists.

I guess, Mule had consultants optimising their processes and got advised that they could save a few Microcents in ink by removing the tetra from their boxes.

Reactions: 7Iron and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.