Clearwater, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Does anyone know the best technique for using borate strips? I added 25 lb of boric acid to a 9,900 gal pool which should have brought it to about 50 ppm borates according Pool Math. I started off with adding 4 x 5 lb bags which took me to about 30 according to the strips. I then added another 5 lb bag (total 25 lb boric acid) and now it looks like it’s testing at 100 ppm. Yes, I did test borates at zero before adding anything. I tried to convince myself it’s 50 ish but can’t get my brain to tell my eyes what to do.

Any suggestions on testing technique? I noticed they keep getting lighter so by the time you make up your mind at the 30 seconds market, they’re way off the scale. Hard to hit a moving target. Any tips or tricks the experts have for testing or reading these darned things would be much appreciated.

Any suggestions on testing technique? I noticed they keep getting lighter so by the time you make up your mind at the 30 seconds market, they’re way off the scale. Hard to hit a moving target.
You, my friend, just NAILED why we put no faith in any sort of test strips. They are a conformation you have borates, FC, CYA, salt, etc but they don't tell you bupkiss about the actual levels of anything you have. Err. Maybe they do if you spot it exactly at 7 seconds after dipping this time, and 21 seconds next time.

Lucky for you, borates are real flexible and I'd be happy with your zero baseline and maths while adding.

Or get a borate test kit if you'd still like to know the specifics.

Well, I ordered the recommended borates strips from tftestkits!! I thought that WAS the recommended testing method. So there's an actual reagent borates test? Where can I get it? I'm cool with maths for the time being, but once I get a lot of sky water exchange and splashing, I'll want to track at lower levels.

Good thing this wasn't CYA!

Thanks.

Well, I ordered the recommended borates strips from tftestkits!! I thought that WAS the recommended testing method. So there's an actual reagent borates test? Where can I get it? I'm cool with maths for the time being, but once I get a lot of sky water exchange and splashing, I'll want to track at lower levels.

Good thing this wasn't CYA!

Thanks.
Here is what I use...Page 7 Post #135

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.