Booster pump drains when turned off

May 27, 2011
Austin Texas
We have a booster pump that runs our water feature and slide. It switches between the 2 (slide and water feature). When the booster pump turns off most of the water will drain from it so the next time I turn it on it will not fill and run. I can get it to work by turning it on then off quickly and watch water fill above the tube coming into it. It takes a few tries of turning it on then off before it will fill with water, prime and run correctly. Any thoughts on why this would be happening ?

Your water feature and slide are above the pool water level so it is natural for the water to flow back downhill to the pool.

Where are you located? Put your location in your profile so it appears
<--- here.

Is this a new pool? A new problem? Has it ever worked differently?

Your water feature and slide are above the pool water level so it is natural for the water to flow back downhill to the pool.

Where are you located? Put your location in your profile so it appears
<--- here.

Is this a new pool? A new problem? Has it ever worked differently?
Done.

Our pool builder was horrible so I question every issue that comes up. The pool is 3 years old and it did function fine for about a year. If the water line is not all the away above the pipe that feeds into the pump it will not properly prime if that is the correct term. I have to switch it on and off until there is enough water in there. Thanks for the reply.

Look if you have a check valve by the pump output to keep the water from draining down. Maybe you have a CV and it failed. Or maybe installing a CV will let the pump hold prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.