Boo! New to pool ownership, wow what a quagmire ha ha

Head_Unit

Sep 16, 2023
Los Angeles
Via a long twisted path I've ended up with a second house which has a lovely outdoor pool and spa. Wow pools can be a pain in the butt, however to cut down a long story we found a knowledgeable pool guy who recommended draining out some of the pool water gradually, and add fresh, to reduce the amount of sediment and especially minerals, as you can see build-up on the tiles and some leaching (?) of the plaster.

I got a Superior Pump 91250
Amazon.com
and connected it to the hose on hand, a 100' rubber of unknown inner diameter (likely 1/2"). Fired right up! So easy! Mmmm, draining the spa, but very slowly. No way close to the specified 1500 gallons per hour at 4 ft pumping height. So questions:
a) Superior do say the hose should be at least 3/4 inch. Maybe this is better?
Amazon.com
b) Even so, is that going to make a DRASTIC difference in output? (I guess I should get a hose like that regardless? And just try it?)
c) If I get another pump, what is a recommended brand? Recommended features? ("Oil-free"? etc)
Danke Schön!

I am not sure your pool guy has given you the best answer. Can you post current test results?
If I could remember what he told me Friday I could, d'oh! I can get a pH test strip for that. I'm not sure I have access to a TDS meter or whatever. He was showing me how for instance the overspill from the spa to pool has become white white white (particularly in the last months I'd say) and more "ring" around the tile.