Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am in the process of moving our hot tub location and have read up on the electrical code for bonding.
Excerpt below

(1)The metal parts of the pool and of other non-electrical equipment associated with the
pool such as piping, pool reinforcing steel, ladders, diving board supports, and fences
within 1.5 m of the pool shall be bonded together and to non-current-carrying metal
parts of electrical equipment such as decorative type pool luminaires and lighting
equipment...

(8) Notwithstanding Subrule (1), the metal parts of a pool need not be bonded to ground or
to each other where the electrical equipment associated with the pool is not located within 3 m of the pool​

The only metal within 1.5m of my pool are the galvanized pool wall panels, pool ladder and anchors, and the concrete rebar encased in the patio deck.
I do know that there was a grid of rebar around the pool when the pool deck was poured. I do not see any evidence of any bond wires around my ladder, concrete or equipment.
All of my pool equipment is currently >3m from the water. I remember my installer stating he grounded in-pool lights to the galvanized shell.

Q1
I'm finding the 'notwithstanding' statement confusing.
If I don't move my hot tub, all equipment is >3m from the water.
Is bonding of my ladder, galvanized shell, and equipment required?

Q2
If the I move my hot tub within 3m of the water, I expect bonding will be required.
At the ladder, the concrete deck is just over 3' from the pool edge to the grass.
Is there a preferred method of running the ground wire from the ladder and pool walls to outside the concrete perimeter so I can run it to the equipment pad.
(My current ladder anchors are corroded and I would like to replace them)

Q3
One option for hot tub location is within 1.5m of a vinyl coated chain link fence.
Is there an method to bond the fence?

Q4
Does rebar in the concrete pad require bonding similar to the ladder?
If so, is there a preferred method to do this after the fact?

Thanks

Note that you are in Canada and we in the US cannot explain why your bonding codes are different then the US NEC. Maybe our Canadian members understand the requirements.

My 2 cents from the states.

What you have top remember is that all codes are the bare minimum. Going above the minimum in a swimming pool surrounding is something you will have to say is worth it.

Below are my opinions and I don't carry licence to do work in your area. So truly my words mean nothing...

Examples given below of Burndy have a UL rating. Make sure the product you use carries the ULC rating(I think that is the approved test agency used)

Q1
I'm finding the 'notwithstanding' statement confusing.
If I don't move my hot tub, all equipment is >3m from the water.
Is bonding of my ladder, galvanized shell, and equipment required?

The way I interpret your(Canadian) code is they "Recommend". So no.... but they recommend you do so. App B of section 68-058

Which in my opinion is YES!!

Q2
If the I move my hot tub within 3m of the water, I expect bonding will be required.
At the ladder, the concrete deck is just over 3' from the pool edge to the grass.
Is there a preferred method of running the ground wire from the ladder and pool walls to outside the concrete perimeter so I can run it to the equipment pad.
(My current ladder anchors are corroded and I would like to replace them)

rent a concrete saw and chipping hammer
Make a channel and direct bury the wire
Replace parts you talked about
Attach wire to associated parts
Pour channel back with concrete

Q3
One option for hot tub location is within 1.5m of a vinyl coated chain link fence.
Is there an method to bond the fence?

Yes - Check Burndy- They make all types of clamps rated for direct burial example GAR1726 -size to post and wire

Q4
Does rebar in the concrete pad require bonding similar to the ladder?

Does the rebar have an epoxy coating on it? If it does you encapsulated and achieve little!

If so, is there a preferred method to do this after the fact?
Cut, Channel, expose rebar and attach a burndy clamp

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.