Bonding question - Upper and lower?

oh-DIY-io

Jun 12, 2019
Ohio
Hi all!

Quick question on bonding.

I'm breaking ground on a DIY from Pool Warehouse on Thursday. I've found some decent videos on bonding but still have questions.

My plan was to do the bonding myself, hang my Hayward Aqua Plus and pull wire to it from my main panel, run conduit and wire for my light, run conduit and wire for some junction boxes for cell phone charging. I would then have my electrician connect the panels and double check my work.

I called the county to see what permits I will need and they said I'd need an inspection for both the lower bond and the upper bond. I hadn't noticed two different bonds in the videos I watched, so I asked the lady if both were required. She put me on the phone with the inspector and he gruffly told me that my electrician will know and basically hung up on me...

So!

1 - Are there any issues with my plan that jump out at you?
2 - Do I need an upper and lower bond?
3 - Do you know of a great how-to video/article on this?

Thanks!
Bryce

More details on the specific pool you are installing would be helpful. Inground? Above ground? Type of walls and floors? Different types of pools have different bonding techniques.

Our inspector wanted to see the light niche bonding before we back filled and the trench to the equipment pad. The second inspection was all the above ground bonding and electrical.
This makes sense. I can see where the light niche could be called "lower" since it's under the back fill. On the trench. Were they just looking to see that the bonding wire was continuous from the pool to the pad? If not, what were they looking for?

Hey Bryce - Finished my Pool Warehouse pool last year. I assume that you went inground with metal panels? Those panels along with any ladder anchors and decking rebar need to have a bonding wire attached and that wire run and connected to a grounding rod, I ran mine to the equipment pad. I have 12v color logic led lights that are self-contained, no bonding needed on those.

Did you have to get a building permit, most of the time that paperwork will tell you what inspections are needed including bonding

Here are a few images of bonding done on mine.IMG_0821.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0821.JPGIMG_0817.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.