Bonding question for all resin pool (legs, rails, track, sidewalls)

BigDreamer

Aug 14, 2022
Southern US
Getting ready to purchase an 18X54 all resin pool (including sidewalls). In reviewing the various posts about bonding, found this info when looking at the NEC manual (2011 edition):

"Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pool. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension."

So would a resin sidewall pool qualifies as storable- which means bonding not necessary?

Appreciate any input on this, thanks!

#1...............you're already over the 42 inch max depth if that is the exclusion cutoff point for not having to ground it.
#2.............I have no idea as to how you are supposed to "bond" together all resin uprights.

Little help here folks!

#1...............you're already over the 42 inch max depth if that is the exclusion cutoff point for not having to ground it.
#2.............I have no idea as to how you are supposed to "bond" together all resin uprights.

Little help here folks!
The "or" portion specifies "regardless of dimensions." Which means depth is no longer applicable?

And I've seen a blurb from the NEC 2014 standards- which includes "For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required." I guess that would be this scenario.

I also need to clarify- I am not trying to get out of having to bond the pool. I was planning on it from the get go. Now I'm just trying to determine the appropriate method. The only metallic portion on the resin wall is the binder strip where the ends meet. That would be a point for bonding, but there's no other metal of any size on the rest of the pool.

8 AWG bare copper ring, 18-24" around pool perimeter, buried 4-6" down, with the following bonding points:
1- The wall binder strip
2- The water at the skimmer/return
3- The pump
4- SWG (if used)

I've seen one other post on here about bonding all resin pool- I think this is the extent, just wanting to see if anyone else has input regarding it.

This may or may not help ...

I purchased an AG pool last year with resin up rites, bottom track and top rail; the wall is made of steel. The electrician did not have to bond the pool wall but did bond the water, around the pool and equipment. He bonded the water at the sacrificial anode vs putting a plate in the skimmer. It passed inspection.

I would imagine that a fully resin pool would be very similar to what we needed.

The 2023 NEC version specifies no bonding requirements in 680 Part III - Storable Pools.

If your pool installation is subject to inspection then you should determine what NEC version is currently adopted in your jurisdiction and will be used.

The city specifies NEC 2011 codes, but inspection is not necessary. I was more concerned about the safety aspect. Is that an exaggeration with above ground pools?

It cannot hurt to follow the bonding requirements for Permanent Pools as much as you can for an Above Ground Pool.

There are many different types of Above Ground Pool installations. The NEC never mentions an Above Ground Pool. They describe Storable Pools. In my reading of the new NEC definition an above ground pool with a deck around it no longer meets the definition of a Storable Pool and would need to follow all the bonding requirements of a Permanent Pool.

For a pool that is intended to be stored when not in use no bonding is required. An above Ground Pool that is left up 12 months out of the year does not meet that definition and bonding would be required.

In the 2023 NEC you either treat the pool as a Permanent Pool and fully bond it or it is a Storable Pool and no bonding is required but can be done anyway.

Last edited:
Appreciate everyone's insight.

The city specifies NEC 2011 codes, but inspection is not necessary. I was more concerned about the safety aspect. Is that an exaggeration with above ground pools?
To give a little insight on bonding, our last pool was put up 20+ years ago and the only bonding requirement was for the pool up rite to be bonded to the pool filter which it was. The walls were not bonded to the filter and we had no other equipment. Fast forward to 2018, we took the pool down and the bonding was still intact but the bottom track that was metal was totally gone. I don't believe that the up rites or the top capping were attached to the pool in any way so theoretically my pool probably wasn't bonded for many years.

In 2022 we put a new pool in as I said the codes were very different than what the last pool had. Is my 2022 pool electrically safer - yes. Did I get electrical shocks from my old pool - no. Did I feel electically safe in my old pool - yes

Although I think it may be overkill, play it safe and bond whatever equipment and the water as the code states. You can't bond resin but if you plan on keeping the pool up and in the same place the little bit extra money may be worth it.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.