Bonding Pond Pump

Ds3161

Gold Supporter
Sep 23, 2021
Kansas city
I am planning to replace an existing under-powered pool pump with an Aquascapes EXT 18000 Pump to run my pool waterfall feature. This pump does not have a bonding lug readily available like pool specific pumps have. Does anyone know what should be done to bond this pump? Anyone have experience using external "pond" pumps in a pool application that might have some expertice in this area?

Is that pump actually rated for pool use. I see it says pond use in the specs I quickly reviewed.
Only use a pump specifically rated for pool use. A pump rated for pool use should have a bonding lug attached.

Yeah I am starting to get very nervous using this pump in a pool. It feels like the pump should be listed for pool use.
Is there a pool waterfall pump (low pressure high flow) that can deliver 210 GPM? I'm having a hard time finding one and 210 was the requested flow from the waterfall builder. The best I have found is the Jandy SWF185 Waterfall pump. The Pentair XF XVF we had doing this before could not reach the flow needed as this is more of a high pressure pump and only achieved high flow at high RPM, so it was both energy inefficient and noisy as heck.

Is there a pool waterfall pump (low pressure high flow) that can deliver 210 GPM? I'm having a hard time finding one and 210 was the requested flow from the waterfall builder.
What is the plumbing size for the suction and returns?

Suction should not exceed 6 ft/sec and return should not exceed 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38.............51 gpm
2"..............63.............84 gpm
2.5............90...........119 gpm
3.0"........138...........184 gpm
4"...........235............312 gpm.

Assuming a 4" suction and return, the head loss from the plumbing should be less than 7 feet and the flow should be 210 GPM at about 2,750 RPM with the commercial 5 HP Intelliflo XF (Assumes a total of about 20 feet of head loss).

You will also have some head loss from the height of the waterfall and the other fittings like the wall suction.

How high is the waterfall?

What suction grates are being used?

At 30 feet of head loss, the speed would need to be about 3,000 RPM.

1679581664648.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.