cpp80

Apr 11, 2023
Conroe, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We're remodeling and doing a full chip out before plaster. On bond coats. I've been warned to not let a contractor use a "home brew," or the SGM product because this does not have a warranty and would ruin the manufacturer's warranty of the plaster. Worse, it can cause delamination. We are doing full chipout which shouldn't require a bond coat but what one contractor told me is they use a bond coat because even a full chipout will have bits of plaster left. What are the acceptable bond coats allowed so that the plaster warranty is not compromised, or worse so delamination does not occur?

A full chip out does not generally need or require a bond coat to be applied. However, I see no harm in doing so, and in fact, may improve the bonding of the new plaster coat.
I have never heard of a bond coat that would violate a warranty of the plaster. I question that, so I would like to see that in writing before commenting about that.
And I suppose there may be a couple of bond coats that aren't as good as others. But for the most part, bond coats generally help and improve bonding, but are not necessary with a full chip. So I like the contractor that recommends a bond coat.

Reactions: cpp80
I've always been wary of bond coats. If it is mixed incorrectly, applied incorrectly, sits too long or not long enough, etc - It just seems like it adds more potential avenues for failure. In Texas you won't have to worry about freeze/thaw, which is a plus.

That said, if the prep is done right, and the bond coat is done right, it should be just fine.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
More important than a bond coat - make sure it is in a written statement that the old plaster will be chipped out using ONLY flat bladed chisels, not pointed chisels.

@AQUA~HOLICS has posted some very good images of chipouts done right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.