Blue Chunks on steps & pool cleaner

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
For the past month I have been noticing light blue particles sitting on my white steps and in the Dolphin pool cleaner filters. When you touch this substance it flakes and disintegrates.
I haven't opened the Pentair filter to look at the cartridges. The Raypak pool heater was fired up about a month ago, and wondered if it could be coming from there? Not sure how to tell.
Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Pool Cleaner Filter.jpg

The brown are pieces of my 20 year old concrete washing into the pool when it rains.

Looks like calcium deposits flaking off from somewhere... What are your levels and have you used anything other than Liquid chlorine?

Well not a huge problem other than turning hair green and depositing metals on your pool walls and maybe turning it green.... I do not know much about metals in the water other than most people dump/empty all the water and get new to get rid of the metals...

Reactions: kimkats
I would identify it more thoroughly first. Does it fizz when you drop some muriatic acid on it? That would imply calcium.

I can't recall ever seeing copper precipitate into light blue color and imbed in calcium. I would have the pool store test for copper before I drained the pool........it normally stains pool walls a midnight blue/green, almost black stain

I do not have copper. But the SWCG does shed calcium if my TA rises too high. Blue is a general indicator of copper in many spots, including filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.