Blower not turning on- Mastertemp 400

Aug 19, 2023
High Desert CA
I have a mastertemp 400, its been a month or so since I last turned it on. Turned it on the other and it seemed to start up fine. Went back an hour later and the pool heater was off. I attempted to restart it and this time, the blower motor did not turn on, the service heater red light was on and there were NO lights lit up on the back of the control panel only the service heater light. Ive tried multiple times to get blower to start and it will not start. On the ignition module I jumped the F1 wire and F2 wire and the blower starts. On the blower connector when I disconnect it and test voltage on the red and green wire I get 120v, when I test voltage on the black and green wire I get nothing. How can i trouble shoot to find out if its a bad control panel or ignition module.

I have a mastertemp 400, its been a month or so since I last turned it on. Turned it on the other and it seemed to start up fine. Went back an hour later and the pool heater was off. I attempted to restart it and this time, the blower motor did not turn on, the service heater red light was on and there were NO lights lit up on the back of the control panel only the service heater light. Ive tried multiple times to get blower to start and it will not start. On the ignition module I jumped the F1 wire and F2 wire and the blower starts. On the blower connector when I disconnect it and test voltage on the red and green wire I get 120v, when I test voltage on the black and green wire I get nothing. How can i trouble shoot to find out if its a bad control panel or ignition module.
Here is a guide you might try. Or, power the system off for about 5 minutes and turn the power back on. It may reset the heater. If not, follow the guide.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
the service heater red light was on and there were NO lights lit up on the back of the control panel only the service heater light.
If the Service Heater LED is on, then there will be a LED on the Control Panel or on the Fenwal Ignition controller.

Fenwal LED Light
The LED will flash on for 1/4 second, then off for 1/4 second during a fault condition. The pause between fault codes is 3 seconds. The LED light on the Fenwal box can indicate the following problems:

Steady on - Internal Control Failure
One flash - Air Flow fault
Two flashes indicates flame no call for heat, then the Fenwal is detecting a flame current when it shouldn't be
Three flashes indicates no flame current being sensed and ignition locked out

What are some common reasons blower will not start.
If the System says "Service Heater" then it is not going to try to start because it has a problem or it thinks that it has a problem.

You have to know what problem the heater thinks it has.

This will be indicated by an LED on the Control Board or the Fenwal Ignition Control Module.

If the System says "Service Heater" then it is not going to try to start because it has a problem or it thinks that it has a problem.

You have to know what problem the heater thinks it has.

This will be indicated by an LED on the Control Board or the Fenwal Ignition Control Module.
No lights on the control board, only service heater light is on. I will check which lights blink on fenwal ignition module

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The lights we speak of are on the back portion of the control board. You'd have to unscrew the four corner wing nuts to be able to flip the top portion of the heater enclosure to see the reverse side of the board. Next to something lit there will have a small description of the trouble led.

The lights we speak of are on the back portion of the control board. You'd have to unscrew the four corner wing nuts to be able to flip the top portion of the heater enclosure to see the reverse side of the board. Next to something lit there will have a small description of the trouble led.
Yes I know which lights you speak of they are the small diagnostic indicator lights (AFS, AGS, SFS, HLS). None of these small diagnostic lights are lit, only the service heater light.

Check the LED on the Fenwal module and see if it is blinking after the heater shuts down.

If you are getting a "Service Heater" LED, then you will have an error LED on the control board or the Fenwal.

Can you show a video of the control board during heater power up and call for heat?

Can you show a video of the Fenwal ICM during heater power up and call for heat?

You are missing something.

If the "Service Heater" LED is on, then the heater is not even going to try to start.

It will give an error on the control board or the Fenwal.

Either you are missing the error light or maybe the lights are defective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support