jmcdonaldrn

Apr 11, 2023
Folsom, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Why am I losing so much chlorine? Using the pool math app, I’ve had to add 3 gallons of bleach in a week!
This is a brand new 16k gal hard side above ground pool. Only up a month. Kids only swam for 2 hours yesterday. Other than that, no swimming. Outside Temps are only 75-80 every day for the last week. Pool looks beautiful.
PH 7.6-7.8
TA 90-100 (I have used a little sodium bisulfate twice in the last 10 days to bring it from 100 to 90).
CYA 50
Never any combined chlorine

Yesterday, FC 3.5. Added the suggested Amt of bleach to assumingly bring it to 5 (or 6, I can’t remember the recommendation).
No swimming today. No rain. Partially cloudy day. Ran the robot vacuum today and not much debris.
fC down to 2.5.
What gives?!
(Cartridge filter/pump that runs from 6a-10p on high then off during the night.)
I still have the frog mineral cartridge and chlorine tabs going but only on 1 (very low) because I already had them before finding this group. But that should not be dropping my chlorine.
Thoughts?
Could it be the quality of chlorine? This was generic brand from dollar store, but it’s a very busy store so turnover should be quick.

Test 15 mins after adding to ensure you reached your target.

It could be old bleach, or weak bleach.

That said, 3 gallons of 10%, which is unlikely from the dollar store, is 2.7 ppm per day for the week. That's well within spec of 2-4 ppm daily loss to UV throughout the season. With 6% bleach, it's 1.7 ppm loss and even more likely it's exactly where it's supposed to be right now.

Test 15 mins after adding to ensure you reached your target.

It could be old bleach, or weak bleach.

That said, 3 gallons of 10%, which is unlikely from the dollar store, is 2.7 ppm per day for the week. That's well within spec of 2-4 ppm daily loss to UV throughout the season. With 6% bleach, it's 1.7 ppm loss and even more likely it's exactly where it's supposed to be right now.
Wow ok I didn’t realize that 3 gal a week is expected when there’s no swimming. People on FB talk about only needs like a quart a week. What the heck should I expect once the kids are swimming 3-5 days a week?
And where are y’all buying chlorine? Walmart was almost out. Guess I need to borrow someone’s Sam’s card 😵‍💫

Also, after confirming you’re getting the expected rise from your additions you can do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm or deny the presence of algae consuming your fc.
Especially if you have fallen below minimum- which 3.5ppm is.
Dosing to high target prevents you from playing kissy face with minimum in case of a high uv day or high bather load etc.
F0387F1A-5039-44EF-8CDB-EEB32DCBB2CC.jpeg

Wow ok I didn’t realize that 3 gal a week is expected when there’s no swimming. People on FB talk about only needs like a quart a week. What the heck should I expect once the kids are swimming 3-5 days a week?
And where are y’all buying chlorine? Walmart was almost out. Guess I need to borrow someone’s Sam’s card 😵‍💫
Sam’s only has clorox which contains cloromax- you don’t want that or any form of fabric protection, splashless, flavored etc.
look for “Chlorinating Liquid” it is 10% and unadulterated in the pool area @ Walmart, lowes, Home Depot, ace hardware, ollies, menards, etc. usually $5-$8 gal
Also some pool stores sell it in bulk & it’s cheaper that way.
Remove the frog 🐸- it’s adding metals to your water.

Reactions: newdude
People on FB talk about only needs like a quart a week.
:laughblue:

They also say 'I have a swamp' in more ways than I can count.
What the heck should I expect once the kids are swimming 3-5 days a week?
Not a whole lot more than you're using now. When its properly chlorinated, you have it to spare. :)

Maybe those fb people live in alaska & their pool is 50 degrees?
Or more likely, they’re just simply not adequately chlorinating. There’s alot of advice on fb that’s not accurate. Like magic erasers clearing swamps for instance…

Reactions: jmcdonaldrn
+1. Minimum is lava. If you start at 6 and lose 2.5 like you have been, you will be .5 below minimum and get burned.

If you start at 8 and lose 2.5 like you've been, you're 1.5 ppm away from minimum (4), free and clear from getting burned. Dose back to 8 and call it a day.

For folks learning, I always recommend an insurance ppm or two above target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.