Bleach Prices 2015

In Baltimore (Owings MIlls area), I've been buying 8.25% at Walmart and Costco @ $3.80/gl My local Home Depot cost is $4.25/gl for same bleach. Expensive.

Until I went to Leslie's. Local Leslie's price was $25 for 5gl of 12.5% and subsequently when you return to buy more and have jugs to return you get $6 off for each 5gl jug, so it comes out to $19/5gl of 12.5% ($3.80/gl) which is pretty **** good.

In Baltimore (Owings MIlls area), I've been buying 8.25% at Walmart and Costco @ $3.80/gl My local Home Depot cost is $4.25/gl for same bleach. Expensive.

Until I went to Leslie's. Local Leslie's price was $25 for 5gl of 12.5% and subsequently when you return to buy more and have jugs to return you get $6 off for each 5gl jug, so it comes out to $19/5gl of 12.5% ($3.80/gl) which is pretty **** good.

Have you checked Ollie's? There is one not far from you. $2.99/gal for 12.5%. Even better with a coupon.

b5e00fc859b6764ec0d3e80a3ef28f3e.jpg
c2951c7e68945a78f2f8e2e840dd5d35.jpg

Ollies def has a good deal. I bought 30 gallons of 12.5% and the dates are within 60 days. Plus the 15% coupon helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW that's a good one at Olies.... Remember next year also check Ace for the $10 a case (4 gal) 10% for $10 . I loaded up this year 18 cases. Kroger price yesterday 8% $2.19 121oz got Sr. discount 10% woohoo

I missed the ACE memorial day sale this year but I lucked out. Homeland had 64 oz, 8.25% bottles for $1 so I purchased 144 of them. I talked to a manager to arrange and order and he threw in a case (8 bottles) for free!

Pioneer Pool sells refillable ten litre jugs of 12% liquid chlorine for $5.99 in the Toronto area. That's C$2.25/gallon or US$1.80/gallon. With pre-paid coupons, every tenth jug is free (I think that's how it works). One catch is that you have to buy the jugs which I think are $5.00 each but that's a one time cost. I hate the re-fillable jugs as they are bulky and very heavy when full but the price seems to be very good compared to US prices for bleach (assuming I did the conversion correctly).

can you please explain how this works in details?
i called stores in different districts and they only sell it in cases of two 1 gallon bottles. I would love to jump on the deal like yours and stock up for a couple months

by the way is this stabilized or unstabilized chlorine?

Sure... Keep in mind, I live in S Florida, which is a pool mecca. In most neighborhoods, virtually every home has a 15k in-ground pool. As a result, we probably have as many pool stores as we do grocery stores. 10% chlorine is ubiquitous, and probably sold at/near cost at most pool stores to keep you coming in the door (and hope you'll purchase something else). But this isn't pre-packaged chlorine like you buy at the big box hardware stores. Generally bottles are refilled and resold. A pool store will have a big delivery tank, several hundred gallons, and they refill their bottles from this. Because they turn over chlorine VERY quickly, storage degradation isn't really an issue.

When I buy a gallon of chlorine, I pay a $1 bottle deposit the first time. When I come back in, I trade my empty bottles for filled bottles, and pay $2.20/gal for the chlorine they contain. I also have the option of using 2.5g jugs, for $5.50 per 2.5g refill. That's at my local mom & pop pool store. But, since it works out to the same price per gallon, I generally stick with the easier-to-manage 1g bottles.

The Leslie's special I mentioned is that you could refill 3 of these 2.5g jugs, for just $9.99 with the coupon. This would still be the standard 10% liquid chlorine, non-stabilized. Only thing is you have to purchase the 2.5g jugs, and they're yours to keep (No bottle deposits). I've never set foot in a Leslie's, but for $1.33/gal chlorine, I just might....

Sure... Keep in mind, I live in S Florida, which is a pool mecca. In most neighborhoods, virtually every home has a 15k in-ground pool. As a result, we probably have as many pool stores as we do grocery stores. 10% chlorine is ubiquitous, and probably sold at/near cost at most pool stores to keep you coming in the door (and hope you'll purchase something else). But this isn't pre-packaged chlorine like you buy at the big box hardware stores. Generally bottles are refilled and resold. A pool store will have a big delivery tank, several hundred gallons, and they refill their bottles from this. Because they turn over chlorine VERY quickly, storage degradation isn't really an issue.

When I buy a gallon of chlorine, I pay a $1 bottle deposit the first time. When I come back in, I trade my empty bottles for filled bottles, and pay $2.20/gal for the chlorine they contain. I also have the option of using 2.5g jugs, for $5.50 per 2.5g refill. That's at my local mom & pop pool store. But, since it works out to the same price per gallon, I generally stick with the easier-to-manage 1g bottles.

The Leslie's special I mentioned is that you could refill 3 of these 2.5g jugs, for just $9.99 with the coupon. This would still be the standard 10% liquid chlorine, non-stabilized. Only thing is you have to purchase the 2.5g jugs, and they're yours to keep (No bottle deposits). I've never set foot in a Leslie's, but for $1.33/gal chlorine, I just might....

I asked the Leslie's here and was told that nobody in the state of Texas sells liquid chlorine and that it's horrible for your pool. I had to hold back from laughing and telling him he could buy some at any grocery or hardware store and that other Leslie's sell it. I guess I'm stuck paying $3.79/gal at Lowes :(

You have to wonder if these pool stores pay their employees on commission. Most of them can't be much older than high school/college aged and needing a summer job.

Mine was a Baquacil pool when I bought my house, and the sales "man" (wasn't old enough to have a refreshing cocktail by his own pool) at Namco actually admitted to me that they only carried BQ chemicals as a convenience to their customers (probably should have converted over right then and there). Umm...news flash: You only carry everything in the store as a convenience to your customers. That is what a store is. That is what a store does. Stands to reason you should either know something about the product or stop selling it. Another good one is when you ask them a question about how a chemical works and they read the directions on the bottle. Thanks. I swear the only training they get how to open the register.

The funny thing is the sales force most likely only get paid by the hour, so the individual people don't make any more money for themselves selling this stuff.

I asked the Leslie's here and was told that nobody in the state of Texas sells liquid chlorine and that it's horrible for your pool. I had to hold back from laughing and telling him he could buy some at any grocery or hardware store and that other Leslie's sell it. I guess I'm stuck paying $3.79/gal at Lowes :(

You'd be surprised how many people make strange faces when they find out I'm using "bleach" in my pool "instead" of chlorine from the pool store. "You swim in bleach?" they ask incredulously. While I suppose it's one thing from the public, that's pretty surprising from someone in the industry.

You'd be surprised how many people make strange faces when they find out I'm using "bleach" in my pool "instead" of chlorine from the pool store. "You swim in bleach?" they ask incredulously. While I suppose it's one thing from the public, that's pretty surprising from someone in the industry.

You'd think you'd just get a wink and a nod hoping you move along before you convert someone in their store, since now you know the industry secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time my mom is over she tells me "I ran a pool for over 10 years. Bleach will eat all the plaster on your pool." I ask her how many times she added bleach to her pool and she says "0." I then ask how she knows if she never tried it. :)

The Weis Supermarket chain is carrying the same "Austin's Pool Tech"12.5% for $2.24/gal.==> $0.14/oz Cl There's a store in Westminster and one on Security Blvd. My local store's manager said they'd have it at that price all Summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.