Bleach Prices 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the main reason for using Bleach the price because the pool store actually sells their 12.5% liquid chlorine for $15 for 5 gallons. Local grocery store had 8% bleach for $3.29 so not much difference. Do I just go with the pool store stuff at that price? Only thing is a bottle deposit which I guess you get back when you return the bottle.

$3/gallon of 12.5% is MUCH better than $3.29/not quite a gallon for 8.25% Wish I had a pool store that sold 5 gallons for that. Sam's is the cheapest I've found in Austin $8.19 for 3 121 oz. 8.25%.

Sent from my nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I keep about a months supply on hand. 12.5% should be good for several months of kept in a cool dark place. Even after that it's still good, just loses some strength. Higher concentrations lose it faster. It's all half-life based decomposition, accelerated by higher temperature or even faster decay in UV light exposure.

See here: http://www.powellfab.com/technical_information/tools/sodiumhypo_decomp.aspx

Does anyone here use Tandil bleach from Aldi's? Do you think the quality is as good for their low price? Although it is the best deal I can find, I have to watch for leaky bottles when I buy them.

This is what I use. It's the smaller bottle, but "concentrated". Basically the same amount/strength in a smaller bottle. It's about 1.50 per bottle when I buy a case (six in a case) at a time. Works great for me! YMMV. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At my local Costco here in Toronto, ON they have this Bleach called Springtime Fibre Sure, Can't for the life of me find any information about it, even on the parent company website there is no record of this www.lavo.ca and on the bottles there is no mention of the concentration of this bleach can we assume 6% or could it be less? They sell 3 x 5L jugs for $5.99 CAD, to convert that to American that is $1.50 Canadian per US Gallon or roughly $1.40 USD/Gal which for here is pretty cheap however, not knowing the concentration worries me.

**Edit, I called Lavo today and they confirmed it's 3% bleach, NOT good!!!

Here's a picture of the bottle:

Walmart has the "Concentrated" Clorox which I assume is 8.25%for the equivalent of $4 USD/Gal so the Springtime is far cheaper if it's going to work.

**Edit
Local Hardware Store had Liquid Chlorinator 10.8% on sale at $2.80USD/Gal, is there a way to calculate what's more "worth it" the assumed 6% at $1.4/Gal or the 10.8% at $2.8/Gal? For my regular Chlorinating moving forward the less potent Costco stuff might be good and will keep longer but right now I'm Slamming so the stronger stuff might be best.

**Edit#2
I used Pool Math to calculate raising FC from 5->12 in my pool and inputted the different percentages of the different options then calculated the prices, here's what I got:

Costco ~6%, need 2.6 Gal @ $1.4/Gal =$3.64
Clorox 8.25%, need 1.9 Gal @ $4/Gal = $7.6
Canadian Tire 10.8%, need 1.44 Gal @ $3/Gal =$4.32

So looks like as long as the Costco stuff is 6% it wins.

for those in Phoenix, my local Fry's had Clorox 10% on sale. 3 pack in a cardboard box, 128oz bottles, 9.99. That's 2.6 cents an oz. It was labelled for pool care, not general/laundry, so you might need a fry's marketplace store. Then again, this was in a separate pool/summer display. Their regular area for pool chemicals only had single bottles.

edit: so that's 26 cents per ounce of chlorine.

At my local Costco here in Toronto, ON they have this Bleach called Springtime Fibre Sure, Can't for the life of me find any information about it, even on the parent company website there is no record of this www.lavo.ca and on the bottles there is no mention of the concentration of this bleach can we assume 6% or could it be less?
It could certainly be less. Walmart sells Top Job which is very diluted. I found an MSDS for Fibre Sure bleach. The supplier name is LAVO Inc, so I'm pretty sure it's the same product. That sheet says 1% to 4.9%, which isn't good for that price and you'd be hauling lots of water even if it was.

It could certainly be less. Walmart sells Top Job which is very diluted. I found an MSDS for Fibre Sure bleach. The supplier name is LAVO Inc, so I'm pretty sure it's the same product. That sheet says 1% to 4.9%, which isn't good for that price and you'd be hauling lots of water even if it was.

Yeah agreed if that's the concentration then that's no good, That link I think is for this bleach: http://laparisienne.ca/en/products/bleach/fibre-sure-bleach/, although this one says "concentrated" so maybe they consider 4.9% concentrated. I'm going to get some Liquid Chlorinator 10.8% on sale at $2.80USD/Gal at my local Canadian Tire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.