Bleach leaves to much salt in the pool?

The best choice for most situations is the TF-100. It is the best deal unless you are going to be doing a huge amount of FC/CC level testing at high FC levels (for example a baquacil conversion or mustard algae shocking several times a year). If you are shocking a lot, get the TF-100 XL.

I purchased the TF-100 and am very happy with it. I did not really look at the difference in chemical volume for the TF-100XL and probably should have. I have three problems that I am still getting under control - CH, TA, and CYA. That means I am testing those frequently. I have had to purchase additional CH and CYA reagents. Before the season is over I will probably have to purchase some more of the FC reagents. I think the rest I will have enough. It is hard to find the Taylor refills (TF-100 uses Taylor reagents) locally and they are reasonably priced on the internet, but you have to add shipping. So I guess if I were doing it over again I would go for the XL version. But before I spent the extra money on the XL I would get the automatic stirrer. If I could afford both I would do both.

All of those unlock the secrets of all pool chemistry. They all contain essentially the same tests so there is no difference there (well, the K-2006 has acid/base demand which is not all that interesting most of the time but some people find uses for them).

You are not converting from baqua and don't have a green pool, which makes the XL not a good choice.

It sounds like you have no drop tests at all currently, which makes the TF-50 not a good choice because it assumes you have a useful pH test already.

So, that leaves it between K-2006 and TF-100. Up to you.
--paulr

Still waiting to see if anyone has any recommendations on test kits. I also learned that in TX heat of 100+ I need to keep my CYA at about 50 as was recommended. I do that by putting in so Trichlor pucks and test until I get what I need. I backwash a lot so its a process of just testing every week.

mustang68 said:
Still waiting to see if anyone has any recommendations on test kits.
:scratch: Huh? I count three recommendations on this page, and one on the first.

But I'll give you one more recommendation just for good measure: Ditto. :-D Ditto, that is on the other 4 recommendations you've already received. :wink:

Sunny Texas with lots of sun... but you didn't mention if you use a solar cover which would help eliminate teh FC's lost during the day? I'm a newbie but I didn't see it mentioned here yet...
You may not want to be the Mr. Wizard of the Pool chem world but sounds like the pool store is not your friend and you need to do it your self to get it right...

I'm a complete newbie to pools and all I know I learned here, but I have the TF100 and love it - really good instructions inside and the reagent sizes are logical (the ones you use the most are the biggest). I think you'll love it - I balked at paying so much for a test initially, but am so glad I did. :)

My vote is for the TF-100. You will be so glad you have the tools when and if you come across a problem.

I took 1 sample to 3 different pool stores last week - (just because...) and none of the results were the same... not even close. I could have spent alot of money buying chemicals that they thought I needed. At least with you doing your own testing consistently, you'll find a baseline for your pool and be able to snag a potential problem and head it off. It takes all of 5 minutes to get the sample and do the tests.

Good luck!!
signed,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.