Bleach at Aldi's

For east coast bleach shoppers, Aldi's is now $1.09 for 96 oz. - down from $1.29. During the first heat wave we had in July all of the bottles in my store were bloated, so you know some strength was lost. I bought it anyway and it worked for me . .

Ocean State Job Lot sells Austin's shock for $2.99 a gallon (12.5%). I concur that this brand is excellent.

I bought a gallon of Better Value bleach for a dollar at a neighborhood grocery store the other day but it doesn't list the percentage or give any other info on the label about the product . . and it smells more like ginger ale than bleach . . I had to use it in a pinch and it raised my FC from 4 to 6, but I wonder what else I added to my pool :twisted:

Aldi Store: Belt Line and Plano Road

I have been using the Aldi bleach for a couple months now. I have been trying to shock my pool using the pool calculator to get rid of what looks like mustard algae (based on CYA I need to get up to 24ppm). Every time I add the recommended amount of bleach I get about half the expected FC increase. So I finally decided to test the bleach. Using Chemgeeks recommendation from another post:

1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons should be 10.0 ppm FC. One needs to make sure the bucket or container is very clean. If the FC+CC=Total Chlorine (TC) is 10 ppm, then that's perhaps a better measurement to use for checking

I ran a FAS/DPD test on 4 gallons expecting to get ~5ppm. I ended up getting 3.5ppm.

I went to Walmart today, got some of thier bleach, and re-ran the test. I ended up getting 5.5ppm from the Walmart bleach so I'm thinking that the Aldi bleach is not a good value even though it costs less.

RTS

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.