Bleach affects pH?

brucek2 said:
CH is up to 250 now, if I reach a point where there's no rising pH at all maybe that'll mean it wasn't the aeration and it was period with low CH?
Perhaps, though that still seems a bit of a stretch. Sometimes we can't figure out what happened, unless it's something common across a bunch of pools so that we can isolate various factors more easily.

brucek2 said:
I have not added water myself since the refill, although there's been some rain. There's also an auto-fill valve on the trough outside the infinity edge. The water level in the main pool is always right up to that edge so I don't see many clues either way as to how much water is lost or added. I haven't seen dilution in TA, CH, CYA though so I'm guessing that fill water influence so far has been small?
So the water that spills over the infinity edge isn't recycled back into the pool? So I guess that's not a waterfall effect (so I was wrong about aeration in that case) and it's just treated as splash-out. You might not see dilution in TA or CH depending on the pool levels relative to the levels in the fill water, but there shouldn't be any CYA in fill water so if you don't see that dropping and you aren't adding CYA (say, via stabilized chlorine), then yes your loss from the infinity edge must be small.

pH has been under control for a couple weeks now so I thought I'd update just in case it helps the next person.

One factor turned out to be that my Muratic Acid was half the strength I thought it was. At the store it was grouped with a bunch of other 31.45% product, it has a label touting its benefits compared to 31.45% ("gentler" and "safer"), but only after I googled it and found a spec sheet did I realize it was actually 14.5%. So until I made that discovery, I was putting in half the MA I thought I was, which is one reason I was having trouble getting pH in balance.

Even after fixing that though, I was seeing pH rise from 7.5 to 7.9 over a course of a week. I upped the CH to 300 and it seems like that rise is more gradual now. In the past 7 days its gone from just 7.5 to 7.6. Of course that might be coincidence and maybe its been more rain or some other factor I don't understand.

The spillover from my infinity edge does get pumped back through the filter and into the main pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.