Black spots on ladder steps and green on liner

As far as the swg goes- inside the cell when it is on the ph is higher than the bulk of the pool water, this is why it is recommended to keep your ph & csi in check to prevent scaling of the cell.
Ph below 7 is acidic for your surfaces & equipment, ph much above 8 increases your likelihood of scaling for your surfaces & equipment, but ph in the 7’s is fine. It’s unlikely that it will stay 7.1 for long

Reactions: gnhand and newdude
However I have another set of main entrance steps which I can’t see the back of .
Undo the railings and float them in the middle of the pool. Spin them around like you're asking a magic 8 ball a question and get them good and circulated.

I replaced the ladder steps
Next time fill them with 50/50 chlorine and hose them off an hour later.

In reply to earlier posts I replaced the ladder steps. Found the heavy algae on the back side. I’m hoping this was the cause of my problems. However I have another set of main entrance steps which I can’t see the back of . I guess that will have to be replaced next year. They probably run about $1k
Usually a pressure washer & some 50/50 bleach water will make quick work of cleaning up steps/ladders. Especially if they have little inaccessible areas.
They should be cleaned each season.
I do mine at the beginning & end of each season as mine live in the pool over the winter.
I don’t always pull them all the way out & sometimes just get in the pool after detaching them from the deck and scrub them in there.

Undo the railings and float them in the middle of the pool. Spin them around like you're asking a magic 8 ball a question and get them good and circulated.

Next time fill them with 50/50 chlorine and hose them off an hour later.
I wish I thought of that - it would have saved about $75.
That’s what I should do with the main steps- take out of pool fill with the 50/50 chorine and shake it around then put them away for the winter. Hopefully that will get them ready for next year. And the TFP method will keep my pool trouble free!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Usually a pressure washer & some 50/50 bleach water will make quick work of cleaning up steps/ladders. Especially if they have little inaccessible areas.
They should be cleaned each season.
I do mine at the beginning & end of each season as mine live in the pool over the winter.
I don’t always pull them all the way out & sometimes just get in the pool after detaching them from the deck and scrub them in there.
Thanks for the tips! - the insides of my steps have only small access holes . So I’ll try cleaning at the end of season by pouring in 50/50 mixture in a few weeks , and again at opening.

Reactions: newdude
As far as the swg goes- inside the cell when it is on the ph is higher than the bulk of the pool water, this is why it is recommended to keep your ph & csi in check to prevent scaling of the cell.
Ph below 7 is acidic for your surfaces & equipment, ph much above 8 increases your likelihood of scaling for your surfaces & equipment, but ph in the 7’s is fine. It’s unlikely that it will stay 7.1 for long
I now understand- I hope I can remember all of this next year since my pool season is probably over at the end of this week🥴

Is ph in the low 7s irritating to the eyes? What is the downside to ph being below 7.2?

again at opening.
They likely won't need it at opening. They may not even need it now. You'll know once they're out, then go from there.
hope I can remember all of this next since my pool season is probably over at the end of this week🥴
It'll save here forever. When you return, click the upper left menu icon, the expander arrow thingie next to 'forums', then click 'your threads'

You guys are all outstanding! I feel very lucky to have found this amazing group late last year. I turned a friend on to TFP. And he loves it also. I have had my pool since 1992 or so and have been following Leslie’s advice all these years. Including shocking every two weeks or so, buying expensive products to rid my pool of phosphates, and plenty more.

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people notice irritation in the low 7’s - many aim for mid 7’s for that reason.
I imagine when you check with your kit after fc gets down to 10 the ph will probably have risen by then.
I wouldn’t make any adjustments based on a pool store test honestly.

Reactions: gnhand and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.