Black & Decker (Blue Torrent) Pump Automation

May 17, 2023
Haslet, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had the B & D pump for a couple years, and have the automation setup for relay control.
3 relays lets me control High/Medium/Low and off.

However, I've noticed occasionally that the pump doesn't start when the automation comes on, unless I go manually press the start/stop button.
Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and has any tips.
Thanks.

I have had the B & D pump for a couple years, and have the automation setup for relay control.
3 relays lets me control High/Medium/Low and off.

However, I've noticed occasionally that the pump doesn't start when the automation comes on, unless I go manually press the start/stop button.
Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and has any tips.
Thanks.

Hello - Sorry I am seeing this so late, but I have the same setup and no issues. If your automation is being controlled by an app, do you have the pump programmed and set to “Manual”?

Yes it's set to manual. And it's been working for over a year, so I don't know why it started acting up recently. (I recently plumbed in a SWG, so maybe I changed/lost a setting when I had it powered off, or perhaps it's always been finicky and I didn't notice).
But in the past week, it's only failed to come on once. And if I turn it off and back on (remotely via relay), it runs.

For now, I setup an alert based on temperature differential to check if it starts, and let me know if it doesn't. So I can create a workaround to cycle the relay if it doesn't start
the first time, but I'd rather figure out why it doesn't start in the first place..

The only other variable I can think of is I learned that this pump has software for freeze protection like all VSP motors. However, the seller informed me that this software has caused some erratic behavior with the start/stop times, so I turned it off. If we get weather that drops below 40 degrees, I just schedule the motor to turn on for the overnight hours until the temp is above 40.

To access the freeze settings:
  • Make sure the pump is STOP'd (light above start/stop button is OFF)
  • press and hold the + and - arrows together until the LED's on the screen respond to enter the freeze protection menu settings
  • While in this menu, you can use < and > to cycle between the options (similar to using DISPLAY for other settings, the LED next to the screen will show what setting you're changing)
  • The speed setting is what RPM the pump runs at when it thinks it should be in freeze protection mode, default is 1000 RPM's
  • The duration setting is how long it runs once freeze protection is triggered. If you set this to 0, this should disable the freeze protection mode.
  • Hold DISPLAY to save the new settings and exit this menu

Reactions: hairlesshacker
I have freeze protection in my software which runs the pump automatically based on temp. I thought I had read before that the built-in freeze protection doesn't work when relay controlled, but I may be mistaken. Looks like it was still enabled on my pump too, so I disabled that.

The temps have not been below 70 here though, so I doubt that is related, but thanks for the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.