Black Algae? Need help with these pool stains

poolnoob626

In The Industry
Jun 14, 2023
Northern Utah
Not sure if i is posting in the right section,I have some stains in my pool and spa, the pool/spa looks like it has dirt settled at the bottom but either vacuuming or brushing doesn't take it off. I tried a black algae treatment, followed the instructions but the stains still persist. There is also some blue stains around the return jets in the pool. Some white calcium looking stuff coming out of the pool walls and spa

Attachments

• IMG20230622113624.jpg
    IMG20230622113624.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG20230609111909.jpg
    IMG20230609111909.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG20230608111445.jpg
    IMG20230608111445.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG20230622113620.jpg
    IMG20230622113620.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG20230609111832.jpg
    IMG20230609111832.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 31
Can you post some more info on your pool? Size, filter type, chlorine source...

When you say brushing doesn't take it off, do you mean that it doesn't move at all or that it gets removed but resettles in the same spots?

I tried a black algae treatment, followed the instructions but the stains still persist. There is also some blue stains around the return jets in the pool.
This sounds more like copper than anything else.

However, I really do not see too much of what you are talking about.

What was the "black algae treatment"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I see what you're talking about and, while I am no expert, I do think it's likely Black Algae. I've been fighting it myself for at least a month now.

It's a nightmare. I've done a ton of research, especially on this site, and there are no good or easy solutions. Actually seems like there are no solutions... just management of the problem that will never go away once afflicted. Or, I should say if not caught soon enough and dealt with.

What I've done and am still doing may or may not be what you should do but I have made significant progress. Here's what I have done:

First, clean pool well, scrub well with a wire brush, and then clean your filter. I jacked up my FC to SLAM and above for the first 2 weeks. I cleaned my filter again after about 2 weeks.

Then, I got a couple of different types of pumice stones. Some are soft and you can either use by hand or on a pole extender. There is also a really small and hard type of pumice stone that I've been using on my pole and that's the only thing that will actually break up the really tough BA. Bad news is that it also does some damage to your plaster if you're not careful... heck, even if you are careful.

There's also a pole extender that you can attach a chlorine tab to so you can wipe it directly on the BA after you've either scrubbed with a wire brush or used a pumice stone on it.

A LOT OF BRUSHING. In caps because it's really important. 2-3 times a day, especially in the beginning. I've been using a wire brush for a month now and really scrubbing hard. Yes, some of my plaster is rough now, especially in the deep end so I don't care so much but it is what it is.

For the spa, I really scrubbed hard with the soft "pool" pumice stones. I just climbed in there and put some goggles on and went to town. They don't damage the plaster but wear away pretty quickly so buy a bunch of them. They do a pretty good job of removing the BA. Your pool/spa will be cloudy from the stone as it wears away but I just vacuumed it up after it settles to the bottom. For me, it was just hard to use those in the deep end as my pool is almost nine feet deep and feels like my eardrums are going to pop/break. Literally. Anyways, I always dump a bunch of LC in the pool/spa after brushing or using the pumice stone so it gets to the exposed BA.

The good news is that the SPA is now completely free of BA. At least to the naked eye. The pool I'm still working on some spots that are just hard to get to and I'm starting to lay off the wire brush for now.

This post is getting long and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have but I'm telling you... it just plain sucks. And if there is a magic solution out there, I haven't found it. Just a lot of time and elbow grease (and chlorine). And knowing that the plaster won't be perfect afterwards... and you might be fighting the BA forever if you didn't find it in time and the roots have gone deep. They say the only maintenance is keeping your FC levels on the higher side, forever, or it will come back with a vengeance.

Lastly, and as I've already stated, I'm no pool expert... but I think you likely have BA because I described my issue exactly like you did until I figured out that it was BA. Looks like dust and sediment all over but it just won't brush or vacuum away. My situation is slightly different than yours in that I also have some other type of stain I'm trying to deal with. Also, I had some of the BA spots for about a year now. I just didn't know what it was... just thought it part of the other stain I have. Now a year later, and after not paying much attention to my pool over the winter it has clearly spread.

With some perseverance you can make significant progress, not overnight but in a couple of weeks, and if you've caught it soon enough you might actually be able to eradicate it from everything I've read.

OMG, that post is so long. Here's the gist of it:

Chlorine, scrub, chlorine scrub, chlorine scrub. Get a wire brush and some pumice stones for your pole and that you can just hold in your hand. Scrub, chlorine, scrub, chlorine. Scrub, chlorine... you get the idea.

It's a lot of work but my best advice is don't wait. There is no magic quick fix for Black Algae.

Can you post some more info on your pool? Size, filter type, chlorine source...

When you say brushing doesn't take it off, do you mean that it doesn't move at all or that it gets removed but resettles in the same spots?
It's an 11x30, about 10-15k gallons
Pentair Clean and Clear 520
Whisper flo high Performance pump, yes it doesn't move at all, brushing or vacuuming does nothing to it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.