Bizarre Pool Edge - Breaks Leg

Welcome to TFP!!

I like the ideas expressed so far. However, what I'd do is get 3-4 bags of Sac-crete, rent a mixer for the day and trowel in a bevel to keep the raised bricks from becoming a 'trip hazard'. If your at all handy with a finishing trowel, you could make a ~3" slope around the entire pool in 1 day. You would probably want to use Laticrete, or a similar product to help the fresh crete bond to the deck and bricks. :idea:

why would 2" thick crack? I would think 3/4" would crack easier. If they use fiber renforced plus mesh and saw it should be good. They should prep existing slab with a rough grind and coating it with a bonding agent

I don't know if anyone has already said this I did see someone said use a pvc ramp type deal. I believe instead of repouring the entire thing you could get enough concrete to taper it out to existing grade. You would just need to ensure it has been properly prepared using concrete liquid bonding. Then just feather it out from the cope to the existing concrete. This would also allow for good drainage as well. Anyway that's what I would do! :)

I see this is what others are recommending. I believe this is the cheapest and most effective all around solution! I think it could come out fantatstic!

Thanks for all of the advice - we finally found a contractor who is willing to pour over the existing slab with a slight incline to the coping. I"ll share pictures when the project is done.

Thanks again you all helped us keep hope that we should be able to find a workable solution.

Glad you found a contractor to help you out.

Had I been in your position I would have bought a pack of these http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/decks-fences/172415 and see how well they match the height on the coping. If they're close to the transition I'd cover the entire deck and shim where necessary to get the even with the coping. Not say it's a better solution than re-pouring, but I'd have given a shot.

The come in a variety of finishes and it's certainly a DYI job. I think it would end up looking great!

http://www.tradenote.net/images/users/000/261/941/products_images/252981.jpg

epoxy stone would work perfect to raise the height of the surrounding patio. It can be applied thick or thin and is self sealing. Also a great DIY project if you wish to go without a contractor. Looks great as well.

Read the posts on here about concrete leveling and slab jacking--you can see witness marks on the back of the bricks from the concrete settlement. Pouring additional material on top will temporarily create a transition, but the extra weight will almost certainly cause the problem to worsen.

ConcreteJack said:
Read the posts on here about concrete leveling and slab jacking--you can see witness marks on the back of the bricks from the concrete settlement. Pouring additional material on top will temporarily create a transition, but the extra weight will almost certainly cause the problem to worsen.

Hi Jack,
Are you saying that the concrete was once the same height as the coping and that it has settled over time? Can you suggest a resolution or does that imply a rebuild?

Robert

Hey all :wave:

Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

The deck didn't settle - they replaced the old coping with brick (I'm thinking they had precast "AQ" coping)

If you go the route I suggested above, fill the deck/ brick joint with 'backer-rod' before applying the bevel! :)

Let's make this fix last as long as possible :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the height difference between the top of the slab and top of the coping bricks is perfectly consistent all the way around the pool, then it's unlikely that it settled like that. However, as the author originally stated, the difference ranges between .75 and 1.75 inches; it's unlikely that the original coping was that out of level, so the difference is most likely a result of settlement in that case. If the deck is close to flush with the coping around the skimmers, it's almost certain that the elevation difference is a result of settlement.

Either way, lifting the concrete using the concrete leveling/slabjacking process should work without issue, and will be more durable than anything stuck on top (the range of thicknesses stated isn't really ideal for any surface coating materials to be both functional and not cost more than an entire new pool deck).

I would replace the coping. Less sq footage to demo and you can really put in something nice looking

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.