Bixby, OK water chemistry

The lower TA gets the harder it is to increase pH. Which is why you want to talk lower in the first place. Right? :) Adding borates will make it even harder to move TA and pH.

So, patience is good right now. Are you lowering pH to 7.0 or 7.2? You can lower it now from 7.6 to 7.0 if you want to keep it going. It is easier to raise PH from 7.2 to 7.6 than it is from 7.6 to 7.8.

TMI, you can sleep through this part if you want.
The pH scale is logarithmic so the farther you get away from 7.0 the bigger the jump between numbers. 7.0 to 7.2 is a smaller jump than 7.6 to 7.8 is.

Makes sense, Danny.

So, do I REALLY want my TA to be 50 before I add the boric acid?
What should the final pH be when I add the acid?

With my CH being 500 (my fill water has CH 200 and TA 100-110), will I get a bunch of scale if my TA is only 50?

I'm still trying to understand the chemical relations and balance.

What does PoolMath say your CSI is? Higher TA leads more to scale, not lower. You want you CSI to be between -0.3 and 0.

No, it is not mandatory for your TA to be 50 before you add borates. The only issue is that the three higher your TA is the more it will tend to push PH up. And as you've seen lowering TA will only be get harder with borates added. But, the only downside is that you'll have to add acid to lower your PH more often. But, not as often as you do now.

The goal for you pH is for it to be stable somewhere between 7.6 and 7.8.

My CSI concerns me actually. With my current numbers, it is -0.28, which is good. With my goal of pH 7.0, TA 50, CH 500, and borates 50 with water temp 61, my CSI is -1.07. If I adjust the pH goal to 7.6, CSI is -0.69. If I adjust the TA goal back to 70, CSI is -0.37

In making my TA 50 then adding the boric acid, will I then need to raise my TA?

Once your TA is down to 50 and borates are in your pH goal will be 7.8. Which is around -0.4 and then it would rise a bit with your ph. Or you could put TA at 60 and it would be -0.18.

My TA is finally between 50-60. pH as of this morning is 7.4ish
Im gonna start adding the borates probably this afternoon.

Is it better to add it over a couple of days or days or all in one day? I have to add approx 33lbs

Sounds good!

should I wait to get my pH in the 7.6 range?

If I add it now (11:00), is it ok for my little people to swim around noon-12:30?

Thanks for your patience in answering my questions, Danny!
How's the ankle?

No need to wait. Boric acid has virtually no impact on PH. You're welcome. Ankle is big and ugly! But, it's getting better. All weekend in the pool helped a LOT! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.