Birds everywhere! How to I scare off the birds?

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
All,

My pool is turning into a giant bird bath, sometimes I see 10-12 birds chilling around my backyard. Typically, I wouldn't mind, but they leave bird droppings everywhere and its disgusting.

Has anyone had success repelling them from their yard? Decoy owl?

Decoy owl and big fat fake rubber snakes are all I know of.

When I was growing up in Dallas the birds loved to eat the pyrocantha (sp) bush and would get almost tipsy on the berries...and then mess all over the place. It was a yearly event if I recall, and lttle you could do about it except I guess make sure you don't have those red berried bushes around??

Just a thought, huh?

Maddie :flower:

My neighbor claimed he "trained" his nuisance birds by hassling them, throwing tennis balls at them. They eventually sought more peaceful digs. Anecdotal, for sure. But you'd at least get the satisfaction of giving them as much grief as they're giving you. I'm sure that will offend many. Sorry. Animals, of which I am one, have a right to defend their territory, to the death if need be. I'm not a big proponent of "they were here first." Tell that to the grizzly bear that is gnawing on your leg, who showed up in your yard one day, years after you moved in! I don't think "informing" other animals that they are encroaching on your turf is a crime against nature... It is nature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I have two decoy owls, the kind that their heads swivel. It helps. Not perfect depending on the species of bird. I saw one bird land in its head. :) But it has slowed them down a bit.

Yes Pat, I too had a bird land on my owls head...I had to keep moving him around.

You can also get a motion activated sprinkler and point the sprinkler w full force at the area they are active. Birds like water, but not forceful water aimed at them...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=motion+activated+sprinker&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=77721785824290&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_xfutvz0gx_e

You could also look into the motion-activated, blinking light eye and frightening sound Eagle...

https://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Eagle-Decoy-Blinking-Frightening/dp/B07DWFS8B1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531352666&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=motion+activated+sprinker&psc=1

If you have trees or something in the area where you can string a 4 lb fishing line, needs to be very small, a heavy test line will not work as they can see it clearly. String it across the pool / yard and they will stay away. Tie to a tree branch is good as it will move or leave it a little loose so it can move. I have a X made over my pool and they stay away. Before doing this it was a full time job cleaning there you know what.

If you have trees or something in the area where you can string a 4 lb fishing line, needs to be very small, a heavy test line will not work as they can see it clearly. String it across the pool / yard and they will stay away. Tie to a tree branch is good as it will move or leave it a little loose so it can move. I have a X made over my pool and they stay away. Before doing this it was a full time job cleaning there you know what.

That is brilliant! What, do they run into the line at some point, freak, and then think the whole area too "risky?" Simple, cheap, no maintenance. Must try!!

Yeah, how does that scare them away? :scratch:
In many years have not seen a bird hit the line. I use what in the fishing trade is called Spider Wire. Has the strength of say a 12 lb test but the size of a 2 or 4 lb. Some days i do not think it is still there. The birds are not sure of it because it is so small so they stay well clear. If it was bigger they would not care and maybe sit on it, lol. A few locals got daring and would go under it, i lowered it and if you never seen a bird put the brakes on and paddle backwards, , try it. | was late putting it up this year and sense i did not a white splatter on my solar blanket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.