Big green egg discussion (joe’s and others also included!)

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Guys it takes me forever to get up to smoking temp. 225-250 for agreement sake.

I have been watching videos. So today I’m experimenting. I set my fire in the center as I usually do. My charcoal is right at the fire ring level. I’m not blocking those little notches in the ring.

I lit my fire started. Kept lid open for 25 mins. Nice and red deep fire going. No flames. Just got coals. Closed lid. Kept bottom wide open. Top wide open. Got to 235 in 25 mins today. So now I’m seeing if I can main 250 for some time.

This is what I found today different from what I usually do. Interesting in a discussion on this.

Watched a video today from fogo. They say if u want to maintain 250 for hours on end u keep bottom to a 1/8 open but top wide open. This is not what I have done past 2 years. I have always done maybe 1/4 bottom and sliver up top. I’m trying this new tech now. Anyone do this.

The other day is bottom half open and top sliver open for 250. Again this goes against what I have done in the past. I haven’t tried this yet.

What do you guys do? Do you think this technique is viable?

Check out Born to Egg on Facebook. It is a wonderful group similar to this one. I’ve learned a TON there. My first suggestion would be to get a Kick Ask basket. It helps airflow tremendously and makes cleanup super easy.

I don't facebook. . . but i'll see if i can find anything on it by skimming over the page if it isn't private. i did see his video on starting using paper towel and peanut oil. i might give that a try to night to see if I can get more of a fire going.

I think this is my biggest problem with not being able to maintain a steady temp. Maybe I don't have enough coals burning before I shut the lid to dial in my temp?

Once you have auto temp control through a device, then all your questions dont matter anymore. Nothing like forcing air into the BGE to get it to whatever temp you need it at.

Got my billows. Lot bigger than I figured. Looks well made. I’m going to try it out tonight if I have the time. Got some yard work up my parents after work but then I think I’m good to go.

Attachments

• 3D068B16-3535-4C84-8AA4-48D5E0B837D3.jpeg
    3D068B16-3535-4C84-8AA4-48D5E0B837D3.jpeg
    547.3 KB · Views: 6
I use an electric heating element to get my coals going. 10 minutes tops. If I'm smoking, I take it out after 10 minutes then hit them with a small, low velocity leaf blower for maybe 15 seconds. Thats enough to get me to 300-ish without going over. IF my goal is to get things to max temp asap I'll use the small leaf blower for a minute or two after the element is removed.

Billows is a game changer. I can confidently know that I can get and hold 225 with ease now. I start up with a sawdust square. 10 mins. I throw in my plate setter and racks. Close lid. Let billows do it’s thing. 25-30 mins max. Cool. My top vent is barely like barely open. Enough for jistcthe tip of a toothpick. And the billows on is 2 clicks open only. Thst puts me to 225. If I want 250 I open billows 6 clicks. That easy. Smoking pork chops one day this weekend when it rains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I make a pile of charcoal on the backside of my Kamato. I use a propane torch to ignite a hand-sized section at the bottom of the pile. Hold the torch on the area for about 1 minute to get that area cherry red. Then fill up the grill with your normal load of charcoal. You now have a small, controllable fire.
To get it to heat up quickly, I add air. I use my battery powered leaf blower. Open the top and bottom vents and close the lid. Use the leaf blower on the lowest setting pointed at the bottom vent. Heat the cooker to about 100-125F and then let it come to temp normally. I usually set the top vent to mostly closed and the bottom vent to about 1/2 way until it is up to temp.

Reactions: Decoy205
I have a Kamado Joe and use a fire starter, placing it in the center of the charcoal near the bottom of the charcoal basket. Once lit, I pile some charcoal around the flame, making sure it still has plenty of airflow. Lid is up and bottom vent is wide open until I have a softball sized amount of charcoal glowing. I then close the lid and leave both vents wide open until I’m about 50° from my target temp. I’ll start slowly closing vents until I’ve hit my temp and stabilize. I can reach temp (anywhere from 225° - 350°) and have a heat soaked dome in under 30 minutes. Timing tends to coincide with finishing that first cold beverage.

I’ve often thought about getting a fan/temp controller but I’ve never had any trouble maintaining a steady temp for over 10 hours. At one point, I was worried that my thermometer was broken, because it just sat at 225° and never moved all day. That’s the beauty of ceramic cookers - they’re incredibly efficient. If Fireboard ever comes out with wireless probes like Meater, I might break down and get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.