Bewildered…

Whiskeyguy

Jul 3, 2023
Houston TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Testing with a TF-Pro. Water shad been great for a month, now turning cloudy with slight green hue. Levels are as follows
PH 7.5, FC 7.5, TC 8.0, Alk 80, CYA 40.
Added liquid chlorine last night and brushed thoroughly, woke up and have green streaks on floor of the pool. I’m at a loss. If anyone has any info on what may help, I’m still learning but this site has been invaluable.

That certainly sounds like algae. I
They do brush away, and I have not performed an OCLT. I’m assuming that is just what it says. Test at night and then again in morning and calculate the difference?
You got it. Here is the link to the instructions. Assuming that fails and you have confirmed algae, the answer to get rid of algae is to SLAM so I provided that link as well.

Test at night and then again in morning and calculate the difference?
Correct. That would be a close diagnosis and place to start. Let us know how it goes. In the meantime, keep a little extra liquid chlorine on-hand and continue to maintain a healthy FC level as you appear to be doing now. An FC around 7-8 ppm todat and through this evening should be fine to start the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Ok I appreciate everyone’s help, truly a valuable resource for us noobies. Determined by the OCLT I needed to SLAM. Been doing it for last couple days, yesterday morning .5CC but 7ppm loss. Added liquid Cl. BTW I’ve been at a CYA of 50. Yesterday evening tested and had loss 8ppm during day. Brushed, vacuumed and added Cl back to 20ppm. Had to add water to pool due to evaporation from TX Gulf Coast ridiculously high heat. Fell asleep with water on and woke up and CYA has dropped to 40. Just refigure correct Cl addition in pool math app? Does that drop in CYA affect anything?

Ok I appreciate everyone’s help, truly a valuable resource for us noobies. Determined by the OCLT I needed to SLAM. Been doing it for last couple days, yesterday morning .5CC but 7ppm loss. Added liquid Cl. BTW I’ve been at a CYA of 50. Yesterday evening tested and had loss 8ppm during day. Brushed, vacuumed and added Cl back to 20ppm. Had to add water to pool due to evaporation from TX Gulf Coast ridiculously high heat. Fell asleep with water on and woke up and CYA has dropped to 40. Just refigure correct Cl addition in pool math app? Does that drop in CYA affect anything?
If you’re between 40 & 50 on the test it still counts as 50 for chlorination purposes otherwise it’s 40.
IMG_7221.jpeg

If you’re between 40 & 50 on the test it still counts as 50 for chlorination purposes otherwise it’s 40.
View attachment 523002
I read it as 40, I adjusted Cl to 16 instead of 20, which I had been doing. I’m guessing that’s my new starting point when I’m determining loss and my new focal point for Cl. Do y’all test CYA daily when doing a SLAM?

At the beginning of the SLAM you should be testing and adjusting FC back to SLAM level every 2 hours or as often as you can. Once it starts holding longer you can increase in interval of your testing and adjusting.

Unless you have a large water exchange (like you did) or the slam has gone on for multiple weeks during extreme heat (which can degrade cya) there’s no need to test cya again during slam.
Just fc and also cc’s when you get to the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after the water is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.