Better solution to get rain water off our pool cover?

CPinOaktonVA

Oct 11, 2020
Fairfax Va.
Hi everyone. We have a 15x30 Pool with an automatic pool cover for use in-season. We use a different pool cover once we close for the season. The problem I have is with the current solution to get rain water off the automatic pool cover. We have one of those little giant like sump pump enclosures that sits on the pool cover, connected to a 25ft garden hose that's supposed to drain water out into my yard. It's plugged into a professionally installed electrical outlet with GFI.

When it works.. it works. The problem we run into are any of the following or all together....
1. The pump just doesn't kick in. I'll go out. it'll be sitting in water. Not pumping. I'll pull it out. Turn it over. Water will drain out... I'll turn it back over and put back on the cover. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. I'll do it a few times until it works. Or....
2. The GFI needs a reset. I'll reset the GFI... and it'll start pumping. Or....
3. The hose has been thrown back onto the pool deck by someone who mowed the yard. (we have a service) and it'll be kinked up. So I need to straighten it out, and then do #1 and/or #2.

The question I'm posing is.. is there a better solution than a sump pump... or is there something I'm doing wrong that causes it to not work.. Secondary, is there another option than running a hose out into the yard? I don't know what to ask for other than this doesn't seem to be a very reliable and built-in solution relative to everything else. Appreciate any thoughts!

Sorry, that Little Giant pump is the only thing/way I've found to remove the water. It is a good pump in the sense that it sucks up the water at a low level. Other types of sump pumps need a bit higher water to kick in, if I understand correctly?
Our cover pump also stops at times and we have to turn it over and clear debris out which makes it run again. We get a lot (LOT!) of pine needles and such.
Here are some past posts from the archives that may help you-

Definitely see if it needs cleaning- the little seed pod things clog mine up & make the float not operate. Can’t help you about the hose except maybe bury some sort of permanent drain pipe for it to go into.
As for the gfci- once they trip so many times it becomes easier & easier & they begin nuisance tripping so it may need to be replaced if you have ruled out things getting wet that aren’t supposed to.
Is the pump plugged directly into the gfci?
Does the gfci have an “in use” type cover that is closed while the pump is plugged in?

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.