DuckPond

Jul 1, 2022
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just had the same issue as those in this post from years ago. I’m hoping I can workout my issue and share whatever I do to fix it.

First, I know the pump is getting power because the timer lights were working. The test button does nothing. And neither does the reset. The pump isn’t running. It’s possible the pump is broken. Though, if the Gfci fails, the pump will appear to not work since a failing GFCI will interrupt the power source. The I stands for Interrupter. This leads me to believe that either the GFCI is successfully failing or the pump is trash. Given that others have successfully replaced the GFCI, it seems smart to replace the cheaper and more likely culprit first.

I went out to see if the plug thingy was easy to remove. Lucky for me, there were screws on the back. I took the 4 exterior screws out and the backplate came loose. Then, I took out the 2 screws that were securing the cable. Once that was off, I loosened the 3 brass screws holding the hot, neutral, and ground wires. After that, everything came loose. Here’s where I’m at right now.
63A4A5A3-01F8-4A65-835D-917B6D93D355.jpeg

Next step is to lay out the facts and what I know. this grounded (3 prong) plug is a GFCI and a timer. So, it needs to be replaced with a GFCI and a timer. There are plenty of ways this could happen. Maybe there’s a combined apparatus that will quickly solve the issue. Or maybe I get 2 separate things. Or I replace my outlet with a GFCI and just get a timer.
I do have a space restriction since I have one of the little white boxes around the outlet.

According to How to Replace a Power Cord Plug, I can replace the plug with one of these for <$5. Once I do that, I’ll still need a GFCI and a timer. I like the idea of having them separated. That way when something fails I can more easily diagnose what the problem is.

Regardless of what I just said, I have decided on not separating everything. I’m going to try this timer and this inline GFCI replacement plug. This way happened to be cheaper and will be slightly quicker. We shall find out tomorrow if they fix my issue.

I think @theedaddyduck’s Timer mod will be helpful

To be continued.

Last edited:
odd, I thought we had the same pool but my pump doesn't have that connection, it's just a normal 2 prong. I have xmas light timer boxes that I was going to connect to my pump but it's just big and boxy. Looking for something a little less obtrusive.

odd, I thought we had the same pool but my pump doesn't have that connection, it's just a normal 2 prong. I have xmas light timer boxes that I was going to connect to my pump but it's just big and boxy. Looking for something a little less obtrusive.
Oh! We do pretty much have the same pool. Though, mine came with a cartridge filter pump. I’m hopeful that I have a fix. 🤞🏻

I agree on trying to keep things small and not annoying. There are quite a few timer options out there

Reading your sig, you're vacuum needs to have an inlet blocked for it to work btw. I have over wall skimmer and I keep my B inlet blocked at all times. Disconnect skimmer, attach vacuum, good to go.

and success! This setup works. This is a grounded mechanical timer with a replacement UL listed inline GFCI09C9BC59-CD8A-4F2F-B3E2-9DB7057212C1.jpeg

Edit: this was not completely successful

Last edited:
Reading your sig, you're vacuum needs to have an inlet blocked for it to work btw. I have over wall skimmer and I keep my B inlet blocked at all times. Disconnect skimmer, attach vacuum, good to go.
Oh! Good to know. Thank you. I spent all last year unsuccessful. I’ll give it a try this year. Im excited to see how much using a vacuum helps keep the pool clean. I also installed a skimmer though. So, I’ll likely be hooking up to that instead.

Oh! Good to know. Thank you. I spent all last year unsuccessful. I’ll give it a try this year. Im excited to see how much using a vacuum helps keep the pool clean. I also installed a skimmer though. So, I’ll likely be hooking up to that instead.
You will still need to vacuum, a skimmer can only do so much and it can't clean the walls or pool floor. :)

What model is that timer?

Reactions: DuckPond
Per the usual, no fix is ever as easy as the first thing you try. Currently, I still have the pool pump (now fitted with an inline gfci) plugged into the mechanical timer.
The current setup works like this:
  • If timer is on
    • Provide power to pump’s gfci
      • If gfci is working
        • Power flows to pump and pump runs
      • If gfci is not working (tripped)
        • Nothing happens, as designed
  • If timer is off
    • Cut power
      • Trips gfci and interrupts circuit
So, the inline gfci is totally useless here. I can manually hit the reset button while the timer is on, but as soon as the time cuts off, the gfci is tripped.

When my pool is done running today, I’m going to test the gfci that we have on the deck. If I’m guessing right, testing this one will kill the outlet I have the pool plugged into. If this is the case, I think I don’t need an additional gfci, but I’ll research that more. Assuming my guess testing and research pans out in my favor, I would just need to replace the inline gfci with a regular grounded plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.