CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
We decided to put in an AGP this year and found a Bestway 16 x 31' Steel Frame (roughly 14,000 gallons) at Costco. This will be, in part, a trial run to see if we will upgrade in a few years to a more permanent AGP with a deck entry, so I am trying to make decisions with the future in mind and will hopefully be able to re-use many items. For the best chance of success, I want to automate as much of the routine maintenance as possible. I've done a ton of reading, especially on this site, to try to get an understanding of things. I believe I am pretty clear on the basic chemical maintenance, but I'm hoping for some help with equipment and setup.

Site:
We have a yard sloped away from the house. Everything I have read strongly encourages that you cut into the slope, instead of adding fill to level, but that is not practical for our yard. We will be installing a 2 1/2' retaining wall about 50' from the house and the short length of the pool will start about 25' from the house, so this will be a filled-in slope of about 25' x roughly 45' wide. Going into the slope, the first 16-18' of fill area will have the pool on top of it, the rest will be re-seeded with grass. The total drop from front pool edge to the retaining wall is about 27". Could anyone offer advice, which I realize goes against the standard advice, to prep this so that I do not have problems with the fresh fill? What would be the best base for the pool area? I am planning to use 4" thick pavers, or pressure treated 2x8 or 10s for the supports and will likely use foam board under the pool.

Pump:
In reading reviews of the pool, the more common complaints are that the filter a) is undersized and b) has a GFCI plug that does not work with timers. Initial research for a replacement led me to the Intex Krystal Clear 16" with its 24-hour timer. Is there a better option for a "portable" pool? I will not be running a dedicated electric line to the "temporary" pool, but will be relying on an outdoor GFCI receptacle. I realize this will likely be a disposable item if we upgrade to a more permanent pool.

SWG:
I keep reading about the price of chlorine and am thinking that this is almost a must-have, one of the items that could dramatically reduce maintenance and be completely re-usable. I was looking at Circupool models at discountsaltpool but then realized I had saved the Intex Krystal Clear filter that comes with an SWG to my Amazon shopping list. The SWG part definitely seems undersized to the pool (I calculated at less than .5 lb./day) and it would not be re-usable if we upgrade. If the SWG is undersized, will I eventually be able to trust the FC loss and not have to test and add liquid chlorine daily? Or is this generator worthless and should I just bust the lock off the wallet and future proof with a Circupool?

Solar Heaters:
I intend to install solar heating on a fence that is about 75 feet away, with maybe 5-10' of altitude change. My understanding is that pretty much any pool pump should be capable of this.

Spa:
We have a blow-up Coleman spa and I would like to better automate the maintenance by tying it into the pool filter and SWG, with a valve to switch water flow to its own heater, when needed. Can I add this to the loop, where pre-treated pool water takes care of all the chemical balancing? Or do I need to run this off a separate circuit on its own timer? What is the best way to hook this up?

Other random items, most picked up from reading the valuable information in various threads in this forum:
Hayward skimmer, detailed by a thread in the build section.
Hairnets and Magic Lube II are on my order list.
Solar cover & reel, a Dolphin cleaner and a safety Ladder.
Bought supplies for a vinyl tube water level for final leveling of the pool area.

Is there anything glaringly wrong with my understanding and/or plans for set up?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

The most scary part is having to build up the area to put the pool on. What will the retaining wall be made of? Who will build it?

Everything else seems like you have done a lot research and looks great to me!

Hey Blitzkrieg and Welcome !!!!
Everything I have read strongly encourages that you cut into the slope, instead of adding fill to level, but that is not practical for our yard.
14k gallons weights 116,200 lbs and must remain within 1 inch of being level or risk blowing out the pool wall. You can only compact fresh fill dirt so much. Use gravel, RCA or crushed concrete and compact the snot out of THAT.
I am planning to use 4" thick pavers,
(y) the 2 inchers break over time.
Is there a better option for a "portable" pool?
Anything not made by Pentair/Hayward is not designed to last much longer than the 'temporary' pool, if it even lasts that long. It is what it is. For your experiment, you don't want to buy a pump and filter that costs as much as the pool, each. Save your money and put it towards the permanent pool when the time comes.
I had saved the Intex Krystal Clear filter that comes with an SWG to my Amazon shopping list. The SWG part definitely seems undersized to the pool (I calculated at less than .5 lb./day) and it would not be re-usable if we upgrade
Again, save your money and once the experiment works with flying colors, go big replacing the pool early. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly spend $30k of your money when the time comes. You don't even wanna KNOW what a deck is going to cost. I just don't think it's worth spending alot in the experiment stage.
Coleman inflateable spa......
Can I add this to the loop,
No. Not with any functionality anyway. The inflatable spas take a full day or two for heating to temp. Just like the Intex pool, it is utterly awsome for what it is, but it also is what it is, and high performance is not what it is.

What is the best way to hook this up?
It plugs into any gfci receptical.

The most scary part is having to build up the area to put the pool on. What will the retaining wall be made of? Who will build it?

Everything else seems like you have done a lot research and looks great to me!

Wall will be the concrete blocks with locking back lip (Big, heavy ones, 18" wide x 8" high) - installed by a masonry contractor. At a minimum, the top layer will have either mortar or some other adhesive (will know more tomorrow).

ETA - fixed block dimensions

Last edited:
Hey Blitzkrieg and Welcome !!!!

14k gallons weights 116,200 lbs and must remain within 1 inch of being level or risk blowing out the pool wall. You can only compact fresh fill dirt so much. Use gravel, RCA or crushed concrete and compact the snot out of THAT.

(y) the 2 inchers break over time.

Anything not made by Pentair/Hayward is not designed to last much longer than the 'temporary' pool, if it even lasts that long. It is what it is. For your experiment, you don't want to buy a pump and filter that costs as much as the pool, each. Save your money and put it towards the permanent pool when the time comes.

Again, save your money and once the experiment works with flying colors, go big replacing the pool early. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly spend $30k of your money when the time comes. You don't even wanna KNOW what a deck is going to cost. I just don't think it's worth spending alot in the experiment stage.

No. Not with any functionality anyway. The inflatable spas take a full day or two for heating to temp. Just like the Intex pool, it is utterly awsome for what it is, but it also is what it is, and high performance is not what it is.

It plugs into any gfci receptical.
Thank you!

I'll skip the extra expenses for the time being. Not tying in the spa is disappointing, but agreed that it's well beyond the purpose of the inflatable.

Understood about the fill, I will plan for RCA or crushed concrete. Leveling and compacting this is my biggest worry, I am expecting that I will spend a lot of time and effort on this after the contractor is gone.

Last edited:
Leveling and compacting this is my biggest worry, I am expecting that I will spend a lot of time and effort on this after the contractor is gone.
Its by far the biggest, most critical, and most body hurting part of any Above Ground pool build. When its done correctly, of course. We have seen it oodles and oodles of times that it will be done correctly every time. Whether or not the person wants to put the pool up once, or twice, is a matter of 'personal preference'. Hehe.

See what that masons say. While not structural engineers, they have probably built many retaining walls and know a thing or two at the very least.

Keep us posted. :)

Just to clarify, in case my initial description was poor. This is a relatively small retaining wall, less than 30 inches tall (probably 25-27", maybe up to 30" with cap). When complete, there will be virtually no slope on either side of the wall and there will be 8-10 feet of level ground between the pool and the wall. I wasn't really worried about the integrity of it (even if my compacting isn't good enough and the pool collapses and dumps 14000 gallons of water on it).

Maybe I should be. Additional reinforcement can't hurt anything, plus the rebar and mortar are both easy additions.

Now that I put that on the internet, I'm sure this will end up being an "I told you so" moment. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.