Best way to find a suction side leak

magic lube wont work, it may at 1st for a few seconds, but it will suck into where ever your applying it at if it hits an air leak, where the silicone caulk will usually seal it after a few times ( if the leak is big you may need to apply it a few times as it gets sucked in ) usually it seals right away if its a small leak after applying it, then it will cure and is still easily removed if needed.

only do this when pump is on, otherwise it wont suck into any leaks when applying silicone caulking, the idea is to apply the silicone until you cover the areas i mentioned and see if you notice anything, as far as your description of a plug, you will have to be more specific, at this point i am thinking they drilled a hole into the pvc pipe somewhere and tapped it out, and screwed in a 1/4'' plug or something, so what kinda of plug are you describing

... as far as your description of a plug, you will have to be more specific, at this point i am thinking they drilled a hole into the pvc pipe somewhere and tapped it out, and screwed in a 1/4'' plug or something, so what kinda of plug are you describing

That's pretty much exactly it. I circled where they are from my previous pic.

drain plugs.jpg

Pool company recommended changes...

Well, I've been fighting with an air leak I can't fix and always had issues with prime because my pump is 12 feet above and 50 feet away from the water. At one point I had the PB install check valves on the suction lines which sort of seemed to help, although I think that's when my air issues started.

So, after exhausting my abilities I called a pool company (not the PB, nor the last company to come out here and close for me). The 2nd company had drilled plugs below the check valves on both the skimmer and main lines (left and right) so they could blow them out.

This guy said that:
a) he didn't get how they could even get a vacuum seal on the main line because as soon as they pulled their equipment our of the drain plug they drilled, they would lose it
b) the check valve should have been on the pressure side after the pump anyway because if the lines are good, the vacuum on the suction side should hold the water
c) for closing and general maintenance, he recommended getting rid of the jandy 3-way on the top (to go between skimmer and main) and just put a hayward tb1050st valve (pic below) on each line
d) he's also going to put a tee on the back side between the check valve and pump for winterizing

I'm letting him do all this...am I nuts???

pump and valve.jpg

5eee87a9-b0ff-47ab-ab62-0111cb872651_1.35bcde2506b8d12c2ca0a89d09598c03.jpeg

I think he knows what he is talking about.

That is tremendously encouraging!!

Although...new update...at the price of too much money, I asked him about moving it. Instead of putting lipstick on the pig, we're going to actually move just the pump downhill and closer to the pool. We'll lose about 8-10 feet of height and 20-30 feet of distance. Then he's just going to run a return line up to the filter and be done with it.

It's a lot more than the plumbing changes, but I think it's makes a lot more long-term sense to me.

I initially was thinking it would be crazy to move because of the heater and everything. But he suggested moving just the pump, which makes a lot of sense. Only thing I wonder about is whether it's okay to have your filter uphill that far from your pump? The pump should have no issue pushing the water up there (should it??). Any other things I should be worried about?

I pretty much have the same symptoms.. air in pump basket, air in check valve.. Repair guy coming Friday, unless I can find the leak today.

One fella was looking for an air leak and said the way he found his was lighting a bunch of incense, which made smoke. He held the lit incense next to the valves, and could tell where the smoke was drawn in. I thought that was worth a shot. I'm off to find incense this morning.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work... but it will smell good! Good luck with your leak!!

Only thing I wonder about is whether it's okay to have your filter uphill that far from your pump? The pump should have no issue pushing the water up there (should it??).
Our hydraulics guy, mas985, can say it far more accurately but, pumps love to "push", they do not like to "pull"

Our hydraulics guy, mas985, can say it far more accurately but, pumps love to "push", they do not like to "pull"

Yeah...was just relaying this concept to my wife. I figure in the loooong run, I'll get some money back in pump longevity and electricity.

So now I have a different issue...this pump isn't terribly loud to be perfectly honest, but we will be moving it right down near where we sit on the deck. Now I'm a touch worried about sound. Any suggestions on that? I was thinking about putting a "wall" with maybe some sort of sound-absorbing material between the pump and the sitting area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.